Is Bloody Stool Normal After Ileostomy Reversal?

Replies
Views
Bonn4
Jun 12, 2024 12:30 am

I just had an ileostomy reversal yesterday. Today, I started having watery stools that were a brownish red. Now, I am going every 30 minutes and it's just blood. Is this normal? Has anyone else experienced this? My anxiety is super high and, of course, it's in the evening and my doctor is gone.

MoeMoe
Jun 12, 2024 3:08 am

Hi, I had bloody stool after reversal, brownish red like you, and the doctor said it was normal. I was going often but not every 30 minutes, and there was stool, not just blood. Before reversal, I was told I would have bloody stools, but what I saw in the toilet was pretty alarming. I had bloody stools through 7-8 weeks post-reversal. Most of it, my surgeon determined, was from hemorrhoids which I have from giving birth. I felt like my doctor did not prepare me for the amount of blood afterwards, but it all turned out okay. It went from bloody to streaks to tainted, then finally gone. Oh, and the amount of blood increased again as I increased my fiber intake. Please express all concerns to your doctor when he/she comes in and tell your nurses too so it's documented. I know it's hard to relax and your body has to pull itself back together after a major surgery, but try to stay calm. My anxiety got the best of me too for weeks after my reversal. If you can meditate, it might help; it helped me tremendously. Easier said than done, but try not to worry, I'm sending good vibes your way! Positive thoughts equal positive results. Keep us updated, please.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 36,000 members who truly understand you.

It's not all about ostomy. We talk about everything.

Many come here for advice or to give advice, others have found good friends, and some have even found love. Most importantly, people here are honest and genuinely care.

🛑 Privacy is very important - we have many features that are only visible to members, ensuring a safe and secure environment for you to share and connect.

Create an account and you will be amazed by the warmth of this community.

Justbreathe
Jun 12, 2024 10:35 am
Reply to MoeMoe

Thoughtful comments - if I had this issue/question, your response would have surely calmed some of my fears. I, for one, am so very thankful for this forum—it was a major contribution to my being able to accept this unexpected life journey. Thanks to you and all who contribute 🫶🏻. JB

And Bonn4, stay strong - wishing you a fast and completely successful recovery. The body needs time to heal, and positive thoughts can be a big help in the healing process.

Bonn4
Jun 12, 2024 11:30 am
Reply to MoeMoe

Thank you so much! This was a huge help!

DexieB
Jun 12, 2024 3:41 pm

Hello! I recently had reversal surgery. I didn't experience blood right after surgery, but my surgeon had told me it would be normal if I did. I did have to go to the bathroom a lot in the first few days after surgery though, until my body adjusted.

I did, however, have an old hemorrhoid (from when I was pregnant a long time ago) flare up when I started adding more fiber to my diet a few months post-reversal - it bled a lot on a few different occasions. So I know it can be very alarming to see blood in the toilet - but try not to worry, you are fresh out of surgery and some blood is expected. Keep the nurses aware of what is going on. Try to rest. When you get home, add fiber back slowly. Congratulations on your reversal! Wishing you a swift recovery!

Words of Encouragement from Ostomy Advocates I Hollister

Play