Rock and Ostomies

Replies
Views
kbd
Sep 21, 2012 6:37 am
Went to a Rock concert tonight and at the gate they were doing a general check for weapons and such by looking at the beltline. When it got to me and I spun around I saw he was eying the slight bulge at my waist so I pulled up my shirt and explained I had an ostomy and he waved me on.

I hadn't considered that going to a concert would require me to reveal my ostomy. It was not a big deal, but kind of took me by surprise.

BTW the band was Rush and those guys are awesome

Login to see image

kbd
dcrazy
Sep 21, 2012 8:00 am

Yeah, going certain places that can happen via clubs etc... Most just pat my sides and some check my chest to look for a wire thinking I am FBI lol- I know I am not so good of an area when they check your chest-. Anyway, you handled okay. Never did something like that.
Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 36,000 members who truly understand you.

It's not all about ostomy. We talk about everything.

Many come here for advice or to give advice, others have found good friends, and some have even found love. Most importantly, people here are honest and genuinely care.

🛑 Privacy is very important - we have many features that are only visible to members, ensuring a safe and secure environment for you to share and connect.

Create an account and you will be amazed by the warmth of this community.

Past Member
Sep 21, 2012 10:14 am
i go to concerts and shows, and when it's heavy metal, there's always a pat down, but they have yet to be concerned about my ostomy.

they check the belt line, any loose clothing, even the ankles. i tend to take everything out of my pockets too.
Yukon steve
Sep 21, 2012 11:08 pm
Eat some broccoli then remove the bag and have someone crack a good joke and the projectile you fire could be considered a weapon
kbd
Sep 21, 2012 11:10 pm
I would think the gas alone could be considered a 'deadly weapon'

Login to see image

Words of Encouragement from Ostomy Advocates I Hollister

Play
Past Member
Sep 21, 2012 11:48 pm
a bag of gas or not-gas as the case may be is definitely a weapon in my book
mooza
Sep 24, 2012 8:19 pm
oh wow but they do check as my neice goes to many concrts and yes they had a wine cask but inside it its like a bag you pour wine from that so yeah they do have to check ......At least u had a great time
Past Member
Sep 26, 2012 12:21 pm
Mooz, i hope your niece left the cask at the car.
lyricalaska
Oct 01, 2012 5:44 am
I got checked boarding a plane for Seattle (from Fairbanks, Alaska).  I had to go in the x-ray thing and got pulled over to the side right away after the x-ray was done.  The TSA person said I had something on the left side of my body and they would have to see it.  I told them it was a colostomy and she told me if it was external she had to see it.  I said, "It'd be hard to see if it was internal."  She didn't appreciate my humor.  

Login to see image

Hehehehehe... so I lifted up my shirt and pulled my slacks down a bit ... and her eyes got very big (no I didn't release any gas from it).  She said, "oh, ok, ok, ok."  Then she waved me on.  I always expect to get checked so I wear elastic waisted slacks, no bra, no socks, slip off and on shoes, and a very large and loose shirt.
Past Member
Oct 01, 2012 11:16 am
lyricalaska, i have yet to be checked by the TSA. this thread was about the pat down before a concert or other similar show.
lyricalaska
Oct 03, 2012 5:26 am
Sorry to have posted on being patted down at the airport.  However, I've been patted down twice now since my ostomy has become a part of my body.  I was also patted down 3 other times before I had my ostomy.  Why?  No clue, I'm an old lady.  I won't post about such things...I apologize.
Past Member
Oct 03, 2012 10:50 am
maybe some of those pat downs weren't about what would come to light but the patting itself...