Seeking Odor-Controlling Colostomy Bag Covers

Replies
Views
Rodr24
Jul 18, 2024 1:01 pm

I've started my new job, and I'm finding that the ambient office noise masks most of my sounds, but yesterday morning a pancake surprise (not the good kind!) led to an unfortunate odor that I was self-conscious of for the rest of the day. I felt I needed to stand outside of cubicles while talking with coworkers, not sit next to anyone in meetings, etc.

Can anyone recommend a good bag cover product that can help to mask odor? I wear polo shirts that are long enough to cover the bag.

What I'm envisioning is something that doesn't increase the prominence of my appliance too much, and won't hang low enough to become visible, or ever slip off (I've read that this can happen with some covers).

Thanks in advance, all!

Beth22
Jul 18, 2024 1:08 pm

Hey, there are quite a few places that sell bag covers. Your best bet is to Google ostomy bag covers and find out which ones you like.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 37,000 members who truly understand you.

It's not all about ostomy. We talk about everything.

Many come here for advice or to give advice, others have found good friends, and some have even found love. Most importantly, people here are honest and genuinely care.

🛑 Privacy is very important - we have many features that are only visible to members, ensuring a safe and secure environment for you to share and connect.

Create an account and you will be amazed by the warmth of this community.

kittybou
Jul 18, 2024 1:40 pm
Beachboy
Jul 18, 2024 4:13 pm

I've tried many bag covers. To me... too much hassle.

Consider using Hollister lubricating deodorizer or M9 drops. They do a good job of alleviating odor.

But hey... they're coworkers. Let them suffer.

Rodr24
Jul 18, 2024 4:13 pm
Reply to kittybou

Hmm... Axe and I parted ways decades ago... 😉

I use Azzaro Chrome and Gucci Guilty Black these days (not at the same time, of course) ... They do help a little, but I've never used enough that you would even know unless you're close enough. 😊

I was just thinking a bag might prevent those rare odors from wafting at inconvenient moments.

How to Manage Ostomy Leaks with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister

Play
AlexT
Jul 18, 2024 6:16 pm
Reply to Rodr24

No cover is really for odor control, but you could spray one with whatever aroma you want to help hide it. Personally, my experience with bag covers is that they are a pain in the ass—coming off as your bag changes shape when it fills, another thing to hold out of the way as you empty, etc. I'd suggest a wrap like Ostomysecrets sells or a maternity wrap belly thingy to help hold your bag closer to your body. Spray it with your scent and go on with your day. However, if you have a smell coming from your bag, you have a leak of some sort, which should be your first concern.

Rodr24
Jul 18, 2024 6:45 pm
Reply to AlexT

I have no leaks from the bag. I use flushable wipes to clean up the drain area and a good bag deodorant. I also do a bag rinse when possible. I empty multiple times per day, pretty much any time there's something to empty and my stoma isn't active. Also, this isn't every day; it's just occasional and never severe.

Often, when pancaking occurs, it can get output on the inside of the vents at the top of the bag, and that's when I notice odors. This suggests a concern about the wraps, which I've read can cause pancaking.

I had read that the swim covers can block odor well. I was just hoping for recommendations from anyone who had found a good solution in this area.

AlexT
Jul 18, 2024 8:02 pm

I've never noticed an odor when I get pancaking around the filter. 🤷‍♂️ Pretty much any cover, wrap, belt to some extent will put pressure on your bag. If it doesn't, it's not fitted tightly enough to seal out any odor. The only one that may work to hide odor would be a DryPro cover, but I'd hate to wear that thing all the time.

Maried
Jul 20, 2024 7:57 am
Reply to Rodr24

Get the bags without the filters and use ostomy barrier rings and Brava barrier strips. The combination has helped prevent leaks and does not allow stool to get under the barrier, even when I have had explosive diarrhea!

imsafanwa
Jul 20, 2024 6:54 pm

It's kind of funny how the odor thing works. I can always smell myself and it bothers me, but everyone I'm close enough with to discuss tells me that they've never noticed an odor. I actually believe some of them.

I don't think a bag cover would help anyway. I do my best to smell like soap. Not Axe or any of that stuff, just your favorite shower soap. It helps you feel clean, and I do shower twice a day this time of year. I can't do that at work, but it's a goal to work towards.

Trader Joe's oatmeal and honey soap. I smell wonderful in my mind.

bobwilson5999
Jul 22, 2024 12:44 am

Take a look at Stomacloak. I have an ileostomy and this works well for me.