Managing Gas Pain After Ostomy Surgery

Replies
Views
kr1tzg1rl
Jul 25, 2024 10:03 am

My husband had an ostomy placed on 7/20/2024 and he just came home from the hospital. He is having severe abdominal pain when he has gas and needs to get up and walk around for his body to release the gas.

Does anyone have any advice on how to ease the gas buildup pains?

Kas
Jul 25, 2024 11:58 am

He could maybe try some Gas X in addition to avoiding gas-producing foods and beverages. Getting up and walking around is good for him, though. If his pain is severe, he should maybe have a chat with his surgeon.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 36,000 members who truly understand you.

It's not all about ostomy. We talk about everything.

Many come here for advice or to give advice, others have found good friends, and some have even found love. Most importantly, people here are honest and genuinely care.

🛑 Privacy is very important - we have many features that are only visible to members, ensuring a safe and secure environment for you to share and connect.

Create an account and you will be amazed by the warmth of this community.

warrior
Jul 25, 2024 12:54 pm

Hey Sarah, you and your hubby have come to the right place.

Welcome.

What type of osty does he have? Why was it needed?

His diet needs to be adjusted a bit depending on the type of osty.

More details please. Thanks.

AlexT
Jul 25, 2024 1:42 pm

Get up and walk. You can't just sit around with an ostomy; your plumbing is now different. Fluids and moving keep it moving. I get pain too if I'm going to have a lot of gas, then instant relief when it comes out. Luckily, for me, it doesn't happen very often.

Mysterious Mose
Jul 25, 2024 4:05 pm

What is he eating? I would assume he is still on a liquid diet, right? If he is adhering to that and getting a lot of gas, he should be talking to his medical people. Does he have an ileostomy or colostomy?

Daniel

Stories of Living Life to the Fullest from Ostomy Advocates I Hollister

Play
kr1tzg1rl
Jul 25, 2024 7:09 pm
Reply to warrior

He has a colostomy bag. He had to have exploratory abdominal surgery due to severe abdominal pain, which led to them finding a hole in his colon that had started becoming necrotic.

kr1tzg1rl
Jul 25, 2024 7:14 pm
Reply to Mysterious Mose

We talked to his nurses today. He got up in the middle of the night with a lot of pain. He walked around a bit and got some gas out, which helped. I made him scrambled eggs and one piece of white toast with some peaches this morning. He had a couple of bites of his egg and a few pieces of peaches but didn't touch the toast. He has drunk lots of water today and doesn't seem too bothered by any of it.

I guess I'm just going to have to learn what he can eat.

He is on a low fiber eating plan right now.

eefyjig
Jul 25, 2024 8:15 pm

Hi kr, he's still in the process of ridding his body of that initial gas. I remember writhing in pain after my first surgery. The doctor on call said the best thing I could do was walk, walk, walk. Even gentle movements while sitting or lying down can help - rotating to each side to dispel that gas as does pulling the leg in towards the belly with a bent knee. It'll pass, but boy, I remember how much it hurt.