To Strip or Not - Are Hydrocolloid Strips Necessary?

Replies
Views
Rene
Aug 01, 2024 4:40 pm

I have used hydrocolloid strips with my appliance from the very beginning of my ileostomy. Lately, I noticed during a bag change that if I take the strips off first and leave the appliance, the appliance appears pretty sturdy on its own. Any tips about not using strips?

Mysterious Mose
Aug 01, 2024 5:05 pm

I've never used any sort of strips, so the only tip I have is to make sure your peristomal skin is clean and that you warm the wafer before application. Being a male, I also do a quick once-over with the razor, if needed. I do use thin barrier rings with my pre-cut convex wafer.

Daniel

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 36,000 members who truly understand you.

It's not all about ostomy. We talk about everything.

Many come here for advice or to give advice, others have found good friends, and some have even found love. Most importantly, people here are honest and genuinely care.

🛑 Privacy is very important - we have many features that are only visible to members, ensuring a safe and secure environment for you to share and connect.

Create an account and you will be amazed by the warmth of this community.

AlexT
Aug 01, 2024 5:52 pm

Do you have regular leaks/issues? If not, I'd try your normal routine without strips and see how it goes.

w30bob
Aug 01, 2024 5:59 pm

Oh... you mean THAT kind of "strip." My bad.

I assume you're talking about the "C" shaped strips that you put around the periphery of your barrier bandage... right? Those are only for extra security to keep the edge of the bandage on your barrier from lifting in certain conditions... primarily when swimming or in water or if you sweat a lot. They're optional... so if you don't need them, you don't need them. Right?

;O)

Ben38
Aug 01, 2024 7:20 pm

Over 30 years with an ileo, never used strips... all you can do is just go without using strips and see how it goes; sometimes less is best.

How to Manage Ostomy Leaks with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister

Play
Kas
Aug 01, 2024 8:54 pm

Nope, don't use them.

Justbreathe
Aug 01, 2024 9:11 pm

I guess everything is dependent on the product (bag) you use. I have tried several different products…bottom line for me was the wider the outer tape, the better the hold. I ordered some strips before an upcoming flight - used them for safety, but they were not needed. Less is more…not only in terms of cost, but for me, the fewer items required, the quicker the change time required, the happier I am…comfort and confidence are priorities…removal requirements for me include:

adhesive remover (wipes or spray)
toilet paper
rinse bottle with water
plastic Walmart bag for disposal

Hot naked shower… then new appliance placement:

barrier wipe
barrier ring
appliance
voilà

warrior
Aug 02, 2024 10:06 pm

...Hmm...any tips about not using those strips? Hmm...if you don't have issues with the skin becoming irritated, and if you have no issues with leaks, then I would stop using them...however, it pains me to say that.

I am a big supporter of using them for a long time now, daily... My reasons are to add extra appliance support and delay a blowout leak.

Using those strips equates to confidence for me. Those strips will stick to anything and still be flexible. Confidence going out, swimming, sports. Priceless.

It takes one blowout leak to convince you to continue using them. Sadly, I have had many over the years... A permanent ileostomy for 8 years. When something works for you, keep it.

And Bob? Brother, behave. 😉

IGGIE
Aug 03, 2024 12:35 pm

No, don't use them ever, but I do wear a Hollister belt, so if the bag gives way it doesn't hit the floor. Regards, IGGIE