My Ileostomy Refashioning Experience - Bigger but Better

Replies
Views
Illeostobae
Aug 09, 2024 8:43 am

So as I write this, I am currently sitting in the hospital two days after having my ileostomy refashioned. When they said it was going to be a lot bigger, they were not lying. My retracted stoma measured at 22mm and this new one is measuring at 55mm, so it is a shock. Fortunately, it is working fantastically and is no longer hurting. I just wanted to post to give people an update, as in my previous post I was asking questions about it.

Axl
Aug 09, 2024 8:59 am

Hello Illeostobae

Glad you are feeling better and improving. The good news is it will probably reduce in size somewhat, as you probably know. I may have missed something before, but do you know why it was hurting before?

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 36,000 members who truly understand you.

It's not all about ostomy. We talk about everything.

Many come here for advice or to give advice, others have found good friends, and some have even found love. Most importantly, people here are honest and genuinely care.

🛑 Privacy is very important - we have many features that are only visible to members, ensuring a safe and secure environment for you to share and connect.

Create an account and you will be amazed by the warmth of this community.

infinitycastle52777
Aug 09, 2024 5:38 pm

You are just two days after surgery; your ostomy may shrink. They told me the first three months your ostomy changes shape and decides what size it is going to be. So what is huge now may not be in a couple of months. Mine has continued to shrink in size even post one year. It keeps getting smaller. Pretty soon it won't be there at all! I think it wants to go back inside where it belongs. But yeah, jokes aside, give it some time and see what size it turns out to be in a few months. Glad it is no longer hurting.