Homemade Hydration Drinks for Ileostomists: What Works for You?

Replies
Views
Jayne
Aug 26, 2024 2:09 am

I asked the onsite OstomyAI bot to search its database for the chemistry behind hydration, and it came up with the suggestions below.

My own question to the membership is: What blends of fruit juice or other fruits/drinks, other than branded premixed electrolyte drinks, have you found to be most refreshing and tolerable over time?

Thank you.

Here is the chemistry as suggested by the bot:

Me: Please speak more about the specifics, as pertaining to ileostomists, of homemade ORS recipes that can be effective, including a mix of sugar, salt, baking soda, and potassium. Thank you.

Assistant: Based on the discussions from the MeetAnOstoMate Discussion Forum, here are several homemade Oral Rehydration Solution (ORS) recipes that are effective for ileostomists. These recipes are designed to help manage hydration and electrolyte balance, which is crucial for individuals with an ileostomy.

### Homemade ORS Recipes

1. **St. Mark's Solution:**
- **Ingredients:**
- 6 x 5ml glucose powder
- 5ml table salt
- 2.5ml sodium bicarbonate or citrate
- Water to make up to 1 liter
- **Instructions:**
1. Mix the glucose powder, table salt, and sodium bicarbonate or citrate in a liter of water.
2. Chill and flavor as desired.

2. **Oxford Solution:**
- 200ml squash concentrate (not low sugar or sugar-free)
- 1 level 5ml spoon of salt
- Water to make up to 1 liter
1. Mix the squash concentrate and salt in a liter of water.
2. Chill and flavor as desired.

3. **Basic ORS Recipe:**
- 1 liter of water
- 6 teaspoons of sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon of salt
- 1/2 teaspoon of baking soda
1. Dissolve the sugar, salt, and baking soda in the water.
2. Stir well until all ingredients are fully dissolved.

4. **Alternative ORS Recipe:**
- 1 liter of water
- 1/2 teaspoon of salt
- 1/2 teaspoon of potassium chloride (optional, can be found as a salt substitute)
- 1/2 teaspoon of baking soda
- 2 tablespoons of sugar
1. Mix all the ingredients in the water.
2. Stir until completely dissolved.

w30bob
Aug 26, 2024 6:43 am

So you're saying the AI bot is no smarter than us. Great. No wonder they charge to use the good bots!

;O)

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 36,000 members who truly understand you.

It's not all about ostomy. We talk about everything.

Many come here for advice or to give advice, others have found good friends, and some have even found love. Most importantly, people here are honest and genuinely care.

🛑 Privacy is very important - we have many features that are only visible to members, ensuring a safe and secure environment for you to share and connect.

Create an account and you will be amazed by the warmth of this community.

Justbreathe
Aug 26, 2024 11:20 am

These recipes sound like the food preparation (recipes) also known as, “Hey honey, what's for dinner?”
I immediately throw them away… as they are way too complicated for this ole' pea-brain of mine… not to mention these ingredients are not to be found in any of my cabinets or pantry. But thanks for your efforts in an attempt to keep us hydrated… as of right now, watermelon and whole milk are my go-to recipes—sounds yummy, right? In addition, I am currently trying to cut back on “the root of all evil”… namely sugar 😵‍💫. jb

Jayne
Aug 26, 2024 3:22 pm
Reply to w30bob

KK - point taken!

J

Jayne
Aug 26, 2024 3:25 pm

Would you care to extrapolate—for if my memory serves me correctly, you have posted on the subject of 'electrolyte' management—when we are losing rather more liquid through our ileos... when out of balance? I, among others, would appreciate your personal expertise on the subject.

Thank you, W20bob.

... Usually in balance, but do not drink sufficiently... [or sufficiently wisely at times]...

Working on it—i.e., wish to learn to drink more productively—particularly on the occasions of liquid output, which thankfully is not too often.

BW

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ Jayne ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

Getting Support in the Ostomy Community with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister

Play
Emad
Sep 01, 2024 1:08 am

I use Venture Pal sugar-free electrolytes from Amazon. I use 1/3 of the amount they suggest to keep it light-flavored, and they taste pretty good. I don't drink any juices—too much sugar—except occasionally I'll put a small amount of orange or pineapple juice in my water for a little flavor. I keep water bottles (the reusable insulated kind) everywhere! Next to my bed, in the living room, and I take one in the car everywhere I go. I find I drink more water that way.

rlevineia
Sep 01, 2024 2:26 pm

OMG. That looks like major surgery. I'm 75 and slipping mentally. I use the KISS: Keep it simple, stupid. My dietician recommended two recipes. I ain't Julia Child! Bah! I mix Gatorade 1/3 to 2/3 water. My favorite is Fierce Grape. Caitlin's is orange. No more fatigue from dehydration. I'm a hiker and climber. Root Glacier, AK

Login to see image

Bluesky
Sep 01, 2024 8:25 pm

I drink mostly plain electrolyte water like Smartwater or BodyArmor sports water. If you are in the US, I know Costco and Walmart each have their own brand and are much cheaper. I drink about a 1-liter bottle a day. Occasionally, if I'm in the mood, I drink a BodyArmor Lyte, which has a multitude of flavors and low sugar. But I don't really care for those flavored drinks very often.

Pouch Potato
Sep 02, 2024 3:22 am

I drink Bao coconut water, which is pretty good for electrolytes after I play pickleball, in order to replenish.

Does anyone know of an electrolyte thing you can chew? I'd like to keep something like that in my pickleball bag that I can just pop in my mouth.

Jayne
Sep 13, 2024 2:57 pm
Reply to Pouch Potato

Now that would be cool... something to chew in order to hydrate...

Nice thought!

J

Jayne
Sep 13, 2024 3:00 pm
Reply to rlevineia

Thank you .....

I figured folk might come forward with simple equations that work

BW

J

Jayne
Sep 13, 2024 3:01 pm
Reply to Bluesky

Bluesky,

TY

BW

J

Jayne
Sep 13, 2024 3:02 pm
Reply to Emad

Thanks Emad

BW

J

Jayne
Sep 13, 2024 3:08 pm
Reply to Justbreathe

JB

I was [and still am] wishing to find a simple, non-proprietary 'hydration aid' that one can implement when a bout of liquid loss is not immediately reversible - hence, I was hoping to learn what others used... Thanks for your watermelon go-to [milk is not good for me personally - but I understand why it is good for folk].

Yes, reduction of sugar is good - BW for this.

~ ~ ~ ~ waves ~ ~ ~ ~

Jayne