Had My Reversal Surgery and Feeling Great After 7 Weeks

Replies
Views
Dmyrick55
Sep 07, 2024 8:47 pm

Good afternoon, everyone. Just wanted to let you know I had my reversal surgery after all. Was not going to have that done, but a large hernia and skin issues took that choice out of my hands. Now 7 weeks past surgery, I'm doing fantastic.

Reversal was not nearly as bad as I'd feared, and now that I'm on the backside of surgery and all my plumbing is working, I'm glad I had it done.

Just wanted to sign out of the discussion and thank each of you for talking to me while I was on this journey. God bless you, each and every one. Deb

amkevergreen
Sep 07, 2024 9:29 pm

I just had my reversal 07-18-24 after 18 months... Everything got lazy I suspect... Seems I am learning to poop all over again... Dude wipes are my friend... Best of health to you!

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 36,000 members who truly understand you.

It's not all about ostomy. We talk about everything.

Many come here for advice or to give advice, others have found good friends, and some have even found love. Most importantly, people here are honest and genuinely care.

🛑 Privacy is very important - we have many features that are only visible to members, ensuring a safe and secure environment for you to share and connect.

Create an account and you will be amazed by the warmth of this community.

infinitycastle52777
Sep 07, 2024 11:59 pm

So glad to hear that you are doing well. I can't get a reversal, I don't have enough large intestines left over to do one.

GraceFalls
Sep 08, 2024 1:40 am

Was due for reversal in February 2024. Very last minute, as in after the colon prep, surgical wipe baths, arriving at the hospital at 6 AM, tired, took a Xanax, but no.

Day before, scan said I had a possible abscess, urinary tract infection... they couldn't identify, but I had an elevated white count.

Told me to stay overnight in the hospital to get an I.V. put in for home/healthcare I.V. antibiotics. They didn't show for over 24 hours, and I got scared. Called Hubby to come get me and left the hospital without permission.

Everything works as in ostomy. I am just so afraid of open surgery again. They told me it had to be open. I am just not mentally ready, even though I want the reversal so much.

Dmyrick55
Sep 08, 2024 12:16 pm
Reply to GraceFalls

I had the full open incision again as well, but because I was healthy this time, the operation was much, much easier. First hospitalization was 21 days due to being septic and so many issues, including a white blood cell count of 25,000. Reversal hospital time was 6 days.

Maybe if you can get everything cleared up, you might reconsider. Good luck.

Words of Encouragement from Ostomy Advocates I Hollister

Play
Dmyrick55
Sep 08, 2024 12:16 pm
Reply to amkevergreen

Best of health to you as well. Hope everything starts functioning normally soon.

rebrur2
Sep 09, 2024 6:18 am

My plan is to have one after January. I am extremely anxious though. I have PTSD from my hospital stay before and find doctors and hospitals terrifying now.

I was diagnosed with rectosigmoid cancer in May. I had a rectal/colon resection the beginning of July. 3 days later I was preparing to go home and had the most intense burning pain that spread from my pelvis to my chest. The CT showed an anastomotic leak, which prompted a revision surgery where they fixed the connection, cleaned out gunk, and did a temporary loop ileostomy to let the anastomosis heal. I spent 18 very difficult days in the hospital. Medical stuff is exhausting.

DexieB
Sep 09, 2024 1:40 pm
Reply to Dmyrick55

Congrats! I was also 21 days in the hospital during my first stay, septic and other issues from my colonic perforation. My reversal stay was 2 days - I left the morning of the third day. Went fantastic - I was scared, but it was a walk in the park next to my ostomy surgery. So glad to hear yours went well!!!