Painful Sore Near Stoma - Best Remedies?

Replies
Views
debbiedeeds1
Sep 11, 2024 9:00 pm

I have a sore near my stoma. Very painful. What is the best thing to put on it?

Beachboy
Sep 11, 2024 11:40 pm

Really depends on what's causing the sore.

Pressure from a hernia belt? Poop on the skin? Bacteria. Allergic reaction? Friction from wafer removal? Hair follicle inflamed.

For most sore areas, I use the crusting technique. Use 3M Cavilon swabs and stoma powder. I put on 3 layers of Cavilon and powder. It works well.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 36,000 members who truly understand you.

It's not all about ostomy. We talk about everything.

Many come here for advice or to give advice, others have found good friends, and some have even found love. Most importantly, people here are honest and genuinely care.

🛑 Privacy is very important - we have many features that are only visible to members, ensuring a safe and secure environment for you to share and connect.

Create an account and you will be amazed by the warmth of this community.

🇦🇺 Jo
Sep 11, 2024 11:49 pm

If you have access to a stoma nurse I would check with them first.  At the time I had an ulcer I didn't have access to a nurse but I have some basic knowledge of ulcer treatment and this is what I did below:-

A few years ago I had a painful smallish ulcer (about one inch diameter) about two inches under my stoma (but not connected to it), that I treated with a silver dressing - the product I used was Convatec's Aquacel Ag, a felt-like dressing that I cut to fit to completely cover the ulcer and placed a duoderm dressing over the top and then my bag over the top of that.  It needs to be left on for a few days so I just changed the dressing when I was due for a bag change (every 4-5 days).  As soon as I started using the Aquacel the pain was immediately gone.  It did take a couple of months to fully heal but it hasn't recurred since. 

Mrivera8
Sep 12, 2024 12:35 pm

I’ve gotten pyoderma around my stoma, which are extremely painful puss-filled ulcers. If you’re experiencing something similar you’ll need to schedule with your doctor or stoma nurse. They’ll likely prescribe you a steroid ointment and show you how to apply with cut-to-size pieces of gauze covering the ulcer(s).

TerryLT
Sep 12, 2024 8:54 pm

You don't say whether you have a colostomy or an ileostomy.  If it's an ileostomy, it's most likely the sore is caused by output getting on your peri-stomal skin.  If this is the case, the crusting technique that Beachboy mentions doesn't work for me (it may for you), but wearing a barrier ring does.  There are many brands, but the one I like best is made by Salts and is infused with aloe, so is very kind and healing to your skin.

Terry

Living with Your Ostomy | Hollister

Play