One Man Show

Replies
Views
johnbaxter1952
Jun 16, 2024 7:07 am

When I was facing surgery, I was truly inspired by many of the stories that I read about how people faced their new life and coped with it. I wanted to do something to raise awareness of what it meant to be an ostomate. I was a drama teacher for forty years and have also been involved in local community theatre projects, so I decided that my way of communicating must be through theatre. To this end, I wrote a one-man show; similar in style to the Alan Bennett 'Talking Heads' series (many people in the UK will remember these).

A recording of it was made, and you can see/hear it here https://youtu.be/Ww-PBUuLNfQ?si=Yfs9YqbGSrtD9IZd.

I have performed it live once as part of a Salisbury Fringe event. I am now looking for other appropriate venues to perform.

Please have a listen, and if you are part of a church, social, community group within a reasonable traveling distance from Andover, Hampshire, UK, and you'd like me to come and perform the play for you, please get in touch.

The reading lasts 23 minutes, but the live performance is more like 35 minutes. Then I am willing to do a Q&A about both the play and my circumstances.

Bill
Jun 16, 2024 1:52 pm

Well done John.
I felt that that was half an hour well spent.
Thank you for sharing
Best wishes

Bill

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 37,000 members who truly understand you.

It's not all about ostomy. We talk about everything.

Many come here for advice or to give advice, others have found good friends, and some have even found love. Most importantly, people here are honest and genuinely care.

🛑 Privacy is very important - we have many features that are only visible to members, ensuring a safe and secure environment for you to share and connect.

Create an account and you will be amazed by the warmth of this community.

johnbaxter1952
Jun 17, 2024 2:58 pm
Reply to Bill

Thank you for your kind words. Best wishes.

Bill
Jun 17, 2024 6:11 pm
Reply to johnbaxter1952

Hello John.
You're welcome!

I did have a chat to my wife about whether she would like you to perform for the stroke group that she runs, but she felt that it would not be an appropriate subject for them. Besides which, it would probably be too far to come.
Anyway, I thought it was worth a try, even if the approach was unsuccessful.

One thought that I had was that, when I was working in the local Day Centres, they were often getting people in to talk or perform in one way or another and I am sure that if you approached you local Day Centres, there might be an opportunity to do your stuff there. Also, I use to give talks (about my research) to the local WI, Rotary, Round Table, and many other local groups, whose social secretaries always seem to be on the lookout for people willing to 'perform'. I even gave a talk to a local 'Mother of Twins support group', which was quite an interesting experience.

Best wishes

Bill

aTraveler
Jun 18, 2024 5:18 pm

Excellent presentation. Great elucidation of a life-changing event. Shows how you can have great plans, but then "life happens." You have done well with this video.

"It all comes to this: The simplest way to be happy is to do good." -- Helen Keller

Staying Hydrated with an Ostomy with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister

Play