A year later. What I lost but gained

Replies
Views
Nini4
Sep 12, 2024 6:44 pm

It's been a year since I started what would be the worst 2 months I have ever experienced.  My diverticulitis flared up and IBS was on overdrive. Add to that a very stressful job, weekly doctor visits, myriad of medications, and hospital stays. Unfathomable pain, mental exhaustion, panic attacks and anxiety,  I was the quintessential hot mess!

Nothing worked,  I was not living,  merely existing.  Take me to October 26th 2023, and I wake up with a colostomy and not a happy camper at all!

What a journey this has been. I fought through one of the darkest times mentally and physically.  Took 3 months before I got to the point I could go out and experience life.  6 months, I was donning a bathing suit and heading to the pool with my grandkids.  

Not an easy journey, not one I would wish on anyone, and yes, I woke up and gained what i feared most, a colostomy.  

BUT

I lost so much more 

I lost my self doubt- I can make it through anything 

I lost my loathing of my body- it's keeping me alive

I lost my inhibitions- you have to when you talk poop and stuff

I lost my fear of the unknown- life happens whether you worry or not

I lost a stressful job- have am awesome one now 

I lost pain- once healed I am no longer doubled over crying every day.

I can honestly say life is indeed good, I just had to have mine shaken and stirred quite a bit to finally get it.  I don't let a day go by that I'm not grateful for the opportunity of living. 

Bill
Sep 12, 2024 8:29 pm

Well said!

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 36,000 members who truly understand you.

It's not all about ostomy. We talk about everything.

Many come here for advice or to give advice, others have found good friends, and some have even found love. Most importantly, people here are honest and genuinely care.

🛑 Privacy is very important - we have many features that are only visible to members, ensuring a safe and secure environment for you to share and connect.

Create an account and you will be amazed by the warmth of this community.

TerryLT
Sep 12, 2024 8:51 pm

What a great post Nini!  You have indeed gained much through all those things you lost!  You should be very proud of yourself.

Terry

Nini4
Sep 12, 2024 9:08 pm
Reply to Bill

From a wordsmith as yourself, that means a lot.

Nini4
Sep 12, 2024 9:09 pm
Reply to TerryLT

Thank you Terry!  We all have a lot to be proud of. 😊

Stories of Living Life to the Fullest from Ostomy Advocates I Hollister

Play
Justbreathe
Sep 12, 2024 9:24 pm

Great post and thanks for sharing…good to hear for those of us who have been on here a while and especially helpful to any new folks coming to this site for help or healing thoughts !  jb

Andrew82
Sep 12, 2024 9:26 pm

Love it! Keep up the positivity!  Life is full ups and downs, we have to  make the most of the ups :)

CrappyColon
Sep 12, 2024 9:53 pm

I appreciate how you didn’t sugarcoat how hard different times in our journeys can be, and then your contrast of finding thankfulness during/through/on this side of it is really beautiful 💜

Nini4
Sep 12, 2024 10:27 pm
Reply to Justbreathe

Thank you!

Nini4
Sep 12, 2024 10:28 pm
Reply to Andrew82

Thank you! 

Nini4
Sep 12, 2024 10:28 pm
Reply to CrappyColon

Thank you!

Axl
Sep 12, 2024 11:10 pm

There you go Nini

Words of wisdom.

Nini4
Sep 12, 2024 11:53 pm
Reply to Axl

Thank you!

Ziploc
Sep 13, 2024 2:57 am

You are truly an inspiration! Thank you for this beautiful post. 
I had a long day of chemo today and your words are such a help. I hope to find my silver lining too. 
Maybe this is part of a magazine piece? I expect you are already a writer. 

AlexT
Sep 13, 2024 5:11 am

Great way to look at the last year and looking at things in a positive mindset. 👍 Congrats. 

Beachboy
Sep 13, 2024 5:55 am

Thanks for posting your experience Nini.   You and many others here on MaO inspire me to keep my chin up and carry on.

Nini4
Sep 13, 2024 11:21 am
Reply to Ziploc

Thank you for your kind words. A dear friend is going through chemo right now and she has bad days and it makes me feel for her .

I'm not a published writer, but I always wanted to be. I had a teacher in 5th grade who nurtured my love of writing and it's stuck ever since.

Sending thoughts full of silver linings your way!

Nini4
Sep 13, 2024 11:22 am
Reply to AlexT

Thank you!

Nini4
Sep 13, 2024 11:23 am
Reply to Beachboy

Thank you! We are all inspiring.  I echo your thoughts, many here are the reason I accepted my fate as quickly as I did.

We are a great group of people for sure!!

ron in mich
Sep 13, 2024 1:16 pm

Hi Nini thanks for a positive story to read this morning.

Nini4
Sep 13, 2024 1:20 pm
Reply to ron in mich

😊

eefyjig
Sep 13, 2024 2:04 pm

Beautifully articulated, Nini! You've reached the goal that we all seek to attain: acceptance, gratitude, growth and the ability to thrive. We have to get through the muck in order to get to this point but it's such a relief when we get there. Thanks for sharing; it's so good for all of us to hear!

Nini4
Sep 13, 2024 2:31 pm
Reply to eefyjig

Thank you!

Jayne
Sep 13, 2024 2:40 pm

Nini

"......   shaken and stirred quite a bit to finally get it.  

I don't let a day go by that I'm not grateful for the opportunity of living. "

SO TRUE

We can be the richer and gratefullness is a much underated easement .....

Your Life is worth sharing = THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR POSTING HERE!

Hugs

Jayne

Nini4
Sep 13, 2024 3:52 pm
Reply to Jayne

Thank you!

IGGIE
Sep 13, 2024 4:05 pm

G-Day Nini4,  Everyone loves a happy ending and yours is a 100% success. I am so happy for you to be in that position for you to be able to tick all the boxes. Well done and enjoy life you have more than deserved it. Regards IGGIE

Nini4
Sep 13, 2024 5:44 pm
Reply to IGGIE

Thank you and G-Day to you too !

DG
Sep 13, 2024 7:44 pm
Reply to Bill

Keeping a positive attitude is the best medicine!! 

Nini4
Sep 13, 2024 9:15 pm
Reply to DG

Yes, indeed !

Morning glory
Sep 14, 2024 1:24 pm

Nina, beautifully  written. I can certainly  relate to. You are the perfect  example of making lemonade from life throwing lemons at you.