Rectal vaginal fistula

Replies
Views
j2306
Sep 14, 2024 8:06 pm

I have a colostomy and have developed a rectal vaginal fistula, I have had two procedures to fix but neither has worked, really fearful of more surgery, didn't do well with recovery, does anyone out there have the same issue. How do you cope?

Justbreathe
Sep 14, 2024 9:00 pm

j2306…..Hope those with experience will quickly reply to you.  I know nothing of this but wanted you to know I read your post and hope you will get many informative responses to help and to calm your fears.  jb

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 37,000 members who truly understand you.

It's not all about ostomy. We talk about everything.

Many come here for advice or to give advice, others have found good friends, and some have even found love. Most importantly, people here are honest and genuinely care.

🛑 Privacy is very important - we have many features that are only visible to members, ensuring a safe and secure environment for you to share and connect.

Create an account and you will be amazed by the warmth of this community.

onecoolnana12
Sep 15, 2024 3:59 pm

I too have the same and unfortunately couldn't be fixed so I now have a permanent end colostomy which is better than the loop colostomy. Mine is right at my waste so one pc is all I can use, the 2 pc doesn't bend. I researched it plenty & have not found one case where repairing the fistula worked. I'm sorry to hear you have had to endure 2 surgeries to try & fix it. I had my loop colostomy for 8  years when I finally got my permanent end colostomy but I had a hernia as well that had to be fixed at the same time. So far all is good. I was worried about having it reversed after so long & not having the control. How long have you had yours & if I may ask, where is your fistula located, mine was closer to the end? I did have a reversal 3 months after my initial surgery & a year later the fistula appeared so I was given a loop colostomy in hopes it would heal on it's own & before my surgery for my end colostomy the doctor check to see if there was any way it could be reverse but no such luck. 

howlinghillsfarm
Sep 16, 2024 6:23 pm

I had a rectocele and a vaginal fistula that gave me lots of trouble.  My diverticultis was so bad the Dr. did not want to try to fix the fistula.  I had a very bad attack from the divert. so went to emergency.  Ended up with a pouch, 12 inches removed and I have 
'Rosie" as my husband and I call my stoma.  He helps me change out every other day and we laugh alot because Rosie talks sometimes.  I had 2 doctors working on me at the same time.  One to remove my female organs and the other to give me a stoma.  They removed my appendix at the same time.  I also had bleeding ulcers and they fixed that too.  I am good today.  I get depressed sometimes and then I remember there are more people out there just like me.