Roll-On vs Wipe Skin Barriers for Ostomy Care

Replies
Views
Desertmum
Apr 13, 2018 11:37 pm

Hi all. I've been using a roll-on skin protectant that I ordered online called Prep Protective Skin Barrier by Coloplast. I put on two layers and it works really well. My insurance home health delivery does not carry this. They will only send Safe N Simple No Sting Skin Barrier Film wipes. 

I have had my ostomy just under 2months. It has taken this long to finally heal and allow me to keep on a bag for more than one day. I can get three days now. I may try longer if it is not itching, if it doesn't feel like it needs a change. I don't want to mess it up by using a protectant that doesn't work. 

Has anyone tried the Safe N Simple brand?

maddie50322
Apr 14, 2018 1:38 am

Yes I have. I like it. I am not too picky about my barrier sprays because I use skin prep wipes and medical adhesive spray afterwards. However, I use the Safe n Simple Spray or the Coloplast Spray, a skin prep wipe, and medical adhesive spray as well as the Coloplast Barrier Strips (they are like bandaids for the edge of your wafer). Medical adhesive spray is the last thing I apply before my barrier ring and then bag. It makes the skin super sticky. I swear by it. I change my bag Mondays and Thursday routinely and never have an issue typically. If you haven't already try convex bags those help reduce leaks greatly. 

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 36,000 members who truly understand you.

It's not all about ostomy. We talk about everything.

Many come here for advice or to give advice, others have found good friends, and some have even found love. Most importantly, people here are honest and genuinely care.

🛑 Privacy is very important - we have many features that are only visible to members, ensuring a safe and secure environment for you to share and connect.

Create an account and you will be amazed by the warmth of this community.

SURVIVOR#15
May 04, 2018 5:14 pm

I read somewhere that nothing is better sometimes. I haven't used skin barriers in over 2 yrs now  My skin used to get irritated and would turn red and God Help us if we get stoma irritation and how bad it burns when the skin prep touches it. Just something that you may try. I also use a Pink Tape called Perma Type that I found at my local pharmacy and you can also get it online.  I use the 1" tape and just cut it and put half on my bag and half on my skin to hold my bag on. I go swimming at the pool a lot during the summer months and my bag stays on GREAT. I can get a week out of my bag normally and without the tape I was lucky to get a day. This tape has been a Lifesaver for me and I feel So much more Secure wearing it.  Hope this helps and if you have problems finding the tape then let me know and I will post a website where you can get it. God Bless 😁