Constipation issues

Replies
Views
spope001
Sep 18, 2024 8:32 pm

I have had my ileostomy reversal done 4 weeks ago.   Is it normal to have a lot of constipation after the surgery?   

Differentclass
Sep 19, 2024 8:18 am

Hi. I had a colostomy reversal 6 weeks ago and after initially having the runs as a result of the antibiotics, things went to the other extreme with chronic constipation and cramps. This has improved dramatically over the last few days since I’ve been taking a mild laxative and Buscopan when needed. Also sticking to protein drinks, easily digested food and lots of water. It will get better!

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 36,000 members who truly understand you.

It's not all about ostomy. We talk about everything.

Many come here for advice or to give advice, others have found good friends, and some have even found love. Most importantly, people here are honest and genuinely care.

🛑 Privacy is very important - we have many features that are only visible to members, ensuring a safe and secure environment for you to share and connect.

Create an account and you will be amazed by the warmth of this community.

spope001
Sep 19, 2024 12:18 pm
Reply to Differentclass

Thank you differentclass, appreciate the info.    Yes diarrhea in the very beginning but like you said now the opposite.  Just worried in case a blockage was forming.

DexieB
Sep 19, 2024 1:41 pm

Hello, I had a reversal Jan 30.  I did not get constipated but I was told I could from the pain meds...I ended up only taking a few pills though-  maybe your pain meds are a factor?  I believe my doc suggested Miralax if I were to get constipated.  I did a low fiber diet for quite a while post op, even though I was told I could eat whatever I wanted.  And lots of fluids!!  I was told my bowel habits could be erratic for up to several months after surgery - luckily they were not, but I was told it was possible.  Congrats on your reversal!    

spope001
Sep 19, 2024 6:08 pm
Reply to DexieB

Thanks DexieB…….i haven’t been on any pain meds since a few days after my surgery.     Will try Miralax and see 

How to Manage Emotions with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister

Play