Parastomal Hernia Binders or Belts - Seeking Advice and Recommendations

Replies
Views
tnmontan9721
Oct 06, 2024 4:54 pm

I've read several posts about Parastomal hernia binders or hernia belts but cannot find specific posts. I have a parastomal hernia and would appreciate some suggestions on what others use. Also, there was one post where the lady said her wound nurse took measurements and ordered one through some company. Other posts talked about not wearing them for very long because they are so uncomfortable. Thanks for any suggestions.

rebrur2
Oct 06, 2024 5:36 pm

I too am in this position. My hernia has worsened slightly, so I am wanting to get a belt but the ones I have ordered through Amazon have not fit right.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 37,000 members who truly understand you.

It's not all about ostomy. We talk about everything.

Many come here for advice or to give advice, others have found good friends, and some have even found love. Most importantly, people here are honest and genuinely care.

🛑 Privacy is very important - we have many features that are only visible to members, ensuring a safe and secure environment for you to share and connect.

Create an account and you will be amazed by the warmth of this community.

AlexT
Oct 06, 2024 5:57 pm

NU-Hope belts. 

Justbreathe
Oct 06, 2024 6:18 pm

Hi tnmontan -  

Login to see image

Ileostomy here with hernia.  I was fitted by two WOC nurses for a NuHope belt.  Medicare covered it.  I rarely wear it as it is very uncomfortable and seems to make my stoma protrude thru the hole like a big ole’ pimple.  What I do wear are tight leggings with a loose fitting long top or if I wear looser pants I will wear tight fitting underoos.  I recently posted a pic of underoos that I found on Amazon that are very comfortable.  jb

Ostoberry
Oct 06, 2024 6:59 pm

What works for me might not work for you. I have a fairly large hernia with my ostomy. I use a Hollister two-piece. I just use a simple hernia belt 6" high with Velcro closure. I do a 1 hr slow jog most days and 4 or 5 45-minute workouts in the gym each week. I just cinch it right over my appliance and it pretty much pulls it in. It doesn't bother me at all and I don't even think about it. At home, I wear nothing and I have a pouch with a zipper bottom, and an elastic ring on the inside to slide over the appliance with straps with Velcro for running to the grocery store or doctor visits. That is also waterproof and is great for the pool. Everything was bought off Amazon but sometimes sizing is tricky. I am a Prime member so the couple of things that didn't fit right I just returned at the UPS store, no charge, no hassle. I also tried a tube that you pull up over your legs. I even paid for the stronger support style but that was a disappointment and I'm sorry I didn't return that. Keep looking, you'll find something.

Stories of Living Life to the Fullest from Ostomy Advocates I Hollister

Play
NBLoonie13
Oct 06, 2024 7:41 pm

I use a Nu-Hope belt. They have a guide to support belts on their website. I will try to link it here. 🎃

https://nu-hope.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/08/Nu-Hope-Belt-Guide-2018.pdf

tnmontan9721
Oct 06, 2024 10:01 pm
Reply to Justbreathe

Would you please post pic here under this specific post?

Justbreathe
Oct 06, 2024 10:51 pm
Reply to tnmontan9721
Justbreathe
Oct 06, 2024 10:53 pm
Reply to tnmontan9721

I posted it as a response to your post…just posted it again as a response - not sure why you didn't see it. ? jb

rlevineia
Oct 07, 2024 3:27 pm

Ileostomy? I have a parastomal hernia. If it is very bad, you need a custom belt. Not paid for by insurance, Stealth Belt made me one and it helped a bit. My W/O Rn did the measurements for me. Took 3+ years, but I found a therapist that specializes in abdominal issues. Mostly incontinence in women. She has strengthened my stoma and I can pull my prolapse back in. As I get stronger, it pops out less.

DexieB
Oct 07, 2024 4:38 pm

Hello, my wound nurse measured me and ordered the belt for me - my insurance paid.  It was a Brava belt made by Coloplast - she cut the hole and fitted me with it when it arrived.  I had tried others I ordered on Amazon but those didn't work. 

Since then I have had my ostomy reversed but I still use a Brava belt for my new ventral hernia  -obviously just didn't cut the hole for an ostomy.  I find this one to be not itchy, not bulky, and holds me in comfortably with a silicone grip.  One thing to note, it does run small - the wound nurse ended up calling the company so they could work on fixing that issue - and we had to exchange it for a size up even though she had measured me and it should have fit.  So I would size up just to be safe, but I have no idea whether or not they have fixed the sizing issue.   Also washes up nicely.  It's all a personal preference, but this is the one I like.

elwick
Oct 13, 2024 9:22 am

Hi, look up Sash Medical (Google); you may find a suitable appliance that would be of use to you. I have been using their belts for many years; they are very good and were originally made by a man who needed a suitable belt but could not find one to suit his requirements. Regards, Elwick