Weight Loss Strategies with an Ileostomy and High Output

Replies
Views
allmyluv2006
Oct 09, 2024 11:27 pm

I have an ileostomy and need to lose weight, but I have issues with high output. Any suggestions?

warrior
Oct 10, 2024 12:28 am

You gotta be careful. I would seek out a dietitian versed in ostomy. We can offer you ideas that worked for some and not for others. Keeping track and planning will be your routine.

And you won't lose weight overnight. Saying you have high output is something to give pause to. If everything is coming out mostly liquid, you lose nutrition. Our biggest concerns are staying hydrated and getting nutrients to stay in us longer, to stay and be healthy.

There are kidney issues too. If you become dehydrated constantly, you can develop severe kidney issues. This topic is being addressed now: dialysis.

How do you maintain good nutrition and stay hydrated? Especially when you're peeing liquids out of a stoma?

Eating the right bulking foods and drinking the right fluids could help you, but it will take time.

Others will advise. Sit tight.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 37,000 members who truly understand you.

It's not all about ostomy. We talk about everything.

Many come here for advice or to give advice, others have found good friends, and some have even found love. Most importantly, people here are honest and genuinely care.

🛑 Privacy is very important - we have many features that are only visible to members, ensuring a safe and secure environment for you to share and connect.

Create an account and you will be amazed by the warmth of this community.

Ben38
Oct 10, 2024 7:14 am

You need medical advice before going on a diet with high output. They need to look at all the meds and supplements you're taking to help slow your output down, as they should be helping you put on weight, so they may need reducing or changing.

infinitycastle52777
Oct 10, 2024 7:15 pm

I see a dietitian for weight management and output issues. I suggest you look into getting a referral from your ostomy doctor and they will put you on the right track to someone who can help you with these issues. My dietitian is having me work on protein to bulk up output. It seems to be working somewhat. If you find other things don't work you might want to look at that. Otherwise foods like bread, peanut butter, and marshmallows may help you with output issues. Aside from protein I mean. You can lose weight and address your ostomy issues but it will take some experimenting and some time. A good dietitian can help you with both issues.