Ileostomy information

Replies
Views
Angellady
Oct 19, 2024 11:54 pm

I’ve had my ileostomy for about 15 years due to two perforations in small colon. My surgeon was great but never explained anything to me. He left it up to my nurse who only said I might get urges. And didn’t have any support until I found you. Three months ago I had terrible urges for 4 days and could feel stool and gas wanting to come out of rectum. The 5th day with bearing down I passed medium amount of stool. After that no urges, gas or discomfort. A month ago I passed a very small amount with mucus. Yesterday same, today a liquid gas bubble mucus small amount of stool. There’s no blood or pain. I feel better when it’s done. Why doesn’t anyone explain these issues as at first I was really scared . Thank you for being here.

Beth22
Oct 20, 2024 12:54 am

They leave alot unsaid when you get your ostomy. And alot also is hands on experience. My first doc did tell me about mucus coming outta the bottom end. But as far as everything else and what to look for when there's a problems they don't and they should. They don't go over prolapse, retraction, what color the stoma would be if it's be strangled or doesn't have enough blood flow, they don't explain blockages either and the list goes on. Why they don't I have no idea should they yes, would alot of people be to scared to have the surgery done after hearing all that prob.  Is this the first time you have passed mucus in 15 years ?

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 37,000 members who truly understand you.

It's not all about ostomy. We talk about everything.

Many come here for advice or to give advice, others have found good friends, and some have even found love. Most importantly, people here are honest and genuinely care.

🛑 Privacy is very important - we have many features that are only visible to members, ensuring a safe and secure environment for you to share and connect.

Create an account and you will be amazed by the warmth of this community.

Angellady
Oct 20, 2024 1:17 am
Reply to Beth22

No I’ve had very small amounts occasionally over years but this was like a build up I’m 68 and it’s reversible but actually comfortable with it.

Thank you so much for your response it really helps ease my mind 🥰

infinitycastle52777
Oct 20, 2024 7:40 pm

Mucus can come out looking like a bowel movement. It can give you an urge to go or push. It's just mucus that has been in there a while. It is ok it's not a problem if you are not having bleeding or bad discomfort. If you feel relief once it has been expelled then you are probably fine. 

TerryLT
Oct 20, 2024 8:17 pm

As the others have said, mucus is common, and it can look like stool, both in colour and consistency.  I find, for me, it's very inconsistent.  Sometimes I have very little mucus and its just clear in colour and other times it's kind of a carmel colour and quite thick.  I don't think you have anything to worry about.

Terry

How to Manage Ostomy Leaks with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister

Play