Burnt my stoma

Replies
Views
MatPack
Oct 20, 2024 12:00 pm

Sorry, Picture is sideways 

Login to see image

Recently was cooking with a big pan and touched my stoma on it for a solid 3-4 seconds maybe less. It now has a little red dot at the end of the stoma. There is no pain except the skin outside the stoma and output is normal.

I was wondering if this needed immediate medical attention. It’s the weekend and I’m not sure if I can get a hold of my ostomy nurse or surgeon. I appreciate it. 

Rodr24
Oct 20, 2024 12:52 pm

It doesn't hurt because there are no nerve endings. My advice is to get medical guidance, without a doubt. Perhaps an urgent care facility if you can't reach your doctor or your surgeon's offices.

While it doesn't look too bad, it is an internal organ. You can't be too careful. If you burnt it like that, you probably melted plastic from the bag onto it as well. 

Oh, and this may be a call to invest in a good apron. 😉

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 37,000 members who truly understand you.

It's not all about ostomy. We talk about everything.

Many come here for advice or to give advice, others have found good friends, and some have even found love. Most importantly, people here are honest and genuinely care.

🛑 Privacy is very important - we have many features that are only visible to members, ensuring a safe and secure environment for you to share and connect.

Create an account and you will be amazed by the warmth of this community.

Beth22
Oct 20, 2024 2:56 pm

I would make a trip to your emergency room and have it checked and make sure everything is ok.  

infinitycastle52777
Oct 20, 2024 7:34 pm

Oh wow. Ouch. Don't burn your poor stoma. You should have that looked it because a bit of plastic might be burnt onto your stoma too. Maybe needs to be removed. At the very least get it checked out just to be sure. As others said too, invest in an apron that can protect against this sort of thing in the future. 

Hisbiscus
Oct 21, 2024 12:50 am

I would at least have it checked out by a medical professional.  

Living with Your Ostomy | Hollister

Play
Axl
Oct 21, 2024 1:26 am

Yikes, that's a new one. Stomas heal very quickly from most injuries but a burn is an unfamiliar one. I wouldn't expect any issue but run it by the doc for your own peace of mind.

warrior
Oct 21, 2024 1:28 am
Reply to Rodr24

Indeed. A FIRE proof apron. !!

That is a low stove, geez! HTF?

MsPriss
Oct 22, 2024 3:25 am

My biggest concern is melted plastic.

I’ve ruined a bag with my hair dryer on high for like less than 3 seconds, and that is a HAIR dryer. 

warrior
Oct 22, 2024 11:58 am
Reply to MsPriss

That's not a hair dryer.

It's a torch!😁🤣