Ideas for burning, inflamed skin around the stoma?

Replies
Views
walter.sharpless
Oct 22, 2024 1:59 pm

I'm a caregiver for my wife, her ileostomy is giving us fits. The skin is enraged around the stoma, so not getting adhesion of the base, more leaks, rinse, repeat. I've tried Calamine, (it burns), zinc, (slippery), and changing from flat, circular barrier rings to convex.

I hope somebody might have something topical that would help the skin and also not perpetuate leakage. Thanks for whatever you can share!

aTraveler
Oct 22, 2024 2:13 pm

Is the area around the stoma flat? round? creases? dips/valleys? How high is the stoma above the skin? Does she have colostomy or ileostomy?

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 37,000 members who truly understand you.

It's not all about ostomy. We talk about everything.

Many come here for advice or to give advice, others have found good friends, and some have even found love. Most importantly, people here are honest and genuinely care.

🛑 Privacy is very important - we have many features that are only visible to members, ensuring a safe and secure environment for you to share and connect.

Create an account and you will be amazed by the warmth of this community.

IGGIE
Oct 22, 2024 2:31 pm

Change your product and try sample from other companies, It's probably the adhesive your allergic too, also go see your Stoma Nurse. Regards IGGIE

xnine
Oct 22, 2024 2:36 pm

Use a skin prep. Area must be dry dry.

Spouse
Oct 22, 2024 4:36 pm

My wife had a similar problem and it was causing constant leaks.  We went to Emergency yesterday and saw the Ostomy/Wound Care nurse.  She used a Cavillon Advanced Skin Protectant and instead of a stoma ring, she cut a suitable sized hole in a large wound care pad.  It has been a little over 24 hours and no leaks and less pain.  She also gave some extras and said to continue using this 'til the skin is healed and then return to the regular stoma rings.  Fortunately we have universal health care so there was no cost other than our time and it was well worthwhile.

Words of Encouragement from Ostomy Advocates I Hollister

Play
Justbreathe
Oct 22, 2024 7:53 pm

I have shared this before and many will pooh pooh the idea, but it truly works for me…I put a small dab of Vicks Vapo Rub on the edged where regular skin meets raw red outside edge of stoma skin (where the rubber meets the road if you will) then make sure the pouch hole is as close to this as possible….Vicks is an old fashioned remedy and it works for me to eliminate the irritation of the skin almost immediately and by my next change (every other day/ileostomy) the healing is well on its way.  The trick is to seal as best you can and as close as you can to the angry skin….sounds crazy but it works for me…jb