Is support needed

Replies
Views
tine
Jun 26, 2011 4:55 pm
After having yet more surgery and being sat at home healing, ive been doing alot thinking about the support in hospitals and once home. I know im not the only one who has had nurses who havnt got a clue on how to change a bag and when your feeling down and weak, to me its the last thing that we need and then once at home when some days are really tough.....family members are there to help but can never truly understand.

So this is where i am at, at the minute......i know im no nurse but feel that i could offer people support in pre and post op...being actually there at hospital if needed....either in person or even a phone call once home

I have spoke to my stoma nurse about this and she thinks it is a great idea and she has mentioned going with her on seminars, speaking to doctors, nurses and district nurses about where areas can be improved by them

I wanted to get your feelings on all of this...how you all feel about the support that is offered to us...or lack of in many cases and how you would feel about an ostomate being there for you

Tine......xx
Pinky
Jun 26, 2011 5:03 pm
Hi Tine - that sounds great, if you are comfortable speaking in public about your ostomy.  Nothing could be better in terms of getting the word out about ostomates leading regular lives, but at the same time needing TLC about our condition.

Here in the States we have United Ostomy Assn. trained visitors (of which I am one) who see people in the hospital, at home, call on the phone, etc.  People are really grateful.  My local Ostomy support group is really large and a good place for people to go who are contemplating an ostomy.  That's what I did before I made my decision and it really helped me.

Most new ostomates do say "I wish I could have spoken with you before the surgery."     

Login to see image

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 36,000 members who truly understand you.

It's not all about ostomy. We talk about everything.

Many come here for advice or to give advice, others have found good friends, and some have even found love. Most importantly, people here are honest and genuinely care.

🛑 Privacy is very important - we have many features that are only visible to members, ensuring a safe and secure environment for you to share and connect.

Create an account and you will be amazed by the warmth of this community.

Past Member
Jun 26, 2011 8:46 pm
you  would probably need a phone to carry out this job tine lolololololololol

Login to see image

nogutz
Jun 26, 2011 9:31 pm
Good topic tine;

And yes we do, new ostomates as well! Education is key,and I think we could start right on this site. cause we know that this tool could be in most medical facilities soon if not now. It is up to us to push this up front, and center . We could start a few new forums like the "ET" one only on these forums we could have the medical teams from around the world feed us new and innovative ways of dealing with this and educational sh-t.  Admin has went in that direction somewhat. Lets help them help us. Win win for ostomates

............oh yeah a phone too

Login to see image

Holly
Jun 26, 2011 10:24 pm
Hi Tine,

When I was in the hospital in Calgary after my ileostomy I was asked if I would like  someone from the Ostomy society to come and visit in the hospital, and give me information and I found it very helpful so go for it girl. Good luck.

How to Manage Emotions with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister

Play
Past Member
Jun 27, 2011 3:08 am
If you look at www.iasuport.org   and www.ostomylifestyle.org  both UK ostomy support groups they have visitor training course's, when you have finished the course they will put you in touch with anyone who wants someone to talk to, and they always need volunteers for ostomy events.
mooza
Jun 27, 2011 6:02 am
absolutely just fitting the right people together i was offered help but only the third time i had my stoma so i ended up saying No but doing (volunteering for my osto Assoc) i realize i too could help its huge job .Some of our calls which are supposed to be oredering only end up being moore support and Hell we need it aswell esp. Our country people ...Yep go for it kid .mooza  

Login to see image

Login to see image

Login to see image

Login to see image

Login to see image

Login to see image

MarkP
Jun 28, 2011 9:17 pm
I agree with mooza that we need to fit the right people together. My STN is in another town so travel is requied to talk through issues which in aus can be long trip.

MarkP
nodwell
Jun 28, 2011 10:04 pm
Hello Tine, in august 2009 i'd a hartmanns,(emergency colostomy) when i came out of hospital the district nurses who came to my home to change the dressings were appalled when they realised that i had not had councilling after the operation (nobody knew before). I've had the reversal now and still have to go in to get a hernia repaired. I think that what you are preposing is a good idea

Login to see image

Past Member
Jun 28, 2011 10:46 pm
Thanks for mentioning the United Ostomy group regarding trained visitors. I'd been considering how to work into that, and had not heard of this. Very timely, helpful.  Very good ideas going on here.
Scott Chance
Jul 02, 2011 12:24 pm
Hi Tine,

Firstly, I hope you're healing well and that everything is now working as it should do.

My experience of hospital care was mixed, the stoma nurses were really kind and informative, I also got visited at home every week or so by my stoma nurse, it was really useful during the first few weeks and months when I was getting used to how things worked. Very useful for those "oh my gawwwd" moments you something doesn't look or feel right with your stoma, it's re-assuring to have a medical professional come round and tell you all is alright.

Now I'm on my two feet, so to speak, my nurse doesn't need to see my anymore but I can still call for her help and advice if I get stuck with something, called her the other week in fact to get a new template drawn up as my stoma appears to have shrunk in the last few months.

I have to say though, that the level of understanding, both on a practical and an emotional level from the rest of the NHS staff was a pretty mixed bag, generally speaking not great and when it was poor, it was very poor. I was suprised that a lot of the generic nurses and care assistants didn't seem to know the difference between a colostomy and an ileostomy, for instance, neither did the dietician who came round to advise me for that matter.

In fact, come to think of it, I spent my first post-op week in hospital thinking I'd had a **colostomy** because the nurses had misinformed me! I can laugh about it now but it's incredible, really.

An example of how poor the emotional support is: When the surgeon in charge of my overall care broke the news to me me that I would have an operation and wear a bag, I was devastated. I tried to tell her I was afraid, that I wasn't a seventy year old man, I was only thirty and still had a life to lead, that I was scared this would stop me living the life I knew, but all I got back from her was "well, we have nineteen year old girls who have this done....."

Oh.

So that's alright, then!

I remember trying to tell a nurse on the night shift that I was scared, this was actually before the above conversation when they were still trying to medicate me, the machine had malfunctioned and had stopped pumping the medication, I told her I was scared because if the medication didn't work they would have to take my colon out but she just basically told me I was making a fuss and that a lady on another ward who had to have her breast cut off hadn't made as much of a fuss as me!. Ie, pull yourself together! I know the other lady must have gone through hell as well, but as terrible as it is isn't having a breast off a cosmetic thing? Wheras having your colon out changes the way you go to the toilet, what foods you can eat, what you can drink, maybe how some people perceive you, potentially your entire lifestyle could be changed.

I guess it doesn't really matter if having a breast off or a colon out is more important - the point is, as a patient, I was scared about what I was going through and I didn't feel my fears and concerns were being addressed - if anything, I felt they were being belittled.

[Disclaimer - a year on I now know that surgeon's decision to operate has improved the quality of my life immensely and that I owe her a debt of gratitude, I also know the nurse was only trying to help me in her own way and that a lot of my fears were founded through a complete lack of knowledge and ignorance about ostomies - I hadn't even heard the word stoma before I was taken into hospital, for instance - but I'm just trying to get across that the emotional support for people due to have an ostomy isn't always great]

A year afterwards, I actually met a healthcare professional who by coincidence happened to have a stoma and it was great to talk to her, share common experiences and tips etc.......part of me says I would really like to talk to people who are about to have the op or have already had it and are having difficulty re-adjusting, to use my experience to let them know that things won't be as bad as they fear and maybe I will do that in time...........but you know what? If I'm honest, when I was laying on that hospital bed with all kinds of thoughts of devastation going through my mind and some grinning bastard had come through the curtains to tell me life with a bag would be a-ok, at the time I probably would have just swore at them, but then it was a rather emotional time!

Sorry, Tine, I've gone on a bit there. In short, this isn't a service I was in the right mental frame of mind to benefit from when this was all very new, *but* today if someone who was in my position contacted me to ask for help or some of my time then I would never turn them down as I know what a lonely experience this can be (even with a partner, there are some things that you just have to have lived yourself to appreciate, good or bad!). So maybe in time I would register with my local hospital or ostomy foundation as a volunteer.
Past Member
Jul 02, 2011 2:47 pm

I wouldn't say a woman loosing a breast is just cosmetic surgery, it must feel like the end of the world for them as well, and all the months of radio/chemotherapy they have to go through for cancer.

It wasn't very nice of the nurse saying that to you.

I've had a few bad nurses over the years but luckily more good than bad ones. The day after my surgery I had a nurse telling me she would rather die than have an ostomy, I'll leave you to guess what I told her to do lol.

They never give you counselling after surgery (they should) but you have to ask for it.
Ostomy visitors are just an ostomy friend, they NEVER give you any counseling, just support and encouragment that you will get your life back.
nodwell
Jul 05, 2011 10:58 pm
I forgot to say that last January I asked my G.P. to refer me to a Phycologist, SHE did, but i'm still waiting for an appointment

Login to see image

Past Member
Jul 06, 2011 10:33 am
Some interesting replies there to Tine's post, which I can relate to. For instance until I came upon this site, I didn't know the difference between an ileostomy and a colostomy, if anything was explained at all in the early days, I was so new to it and quite terrified by it all I didn't take in half what they were telling me .When in hospital the first time, for the pouch operation, some 19 years ago, -  a week or so before I went into the mixed ward, (not nice under the circumstances), and 80 miles from home,  a young man had managed to throw himself out of the 5th floor window, rather than face what was to come.

The second time, 5 years ago (for the stoma), a young girl was sobbing away, waiting to go down for surgery, and the ward sister went over and asked rather abruptly what was the matter, and the poor girl wanted her mum. I had a stoma nurse visit about a month after my ileostomy, I knew exactly what I'd got by then! But, I was soon left on my own, and told there was a monthly clinc I could attend, in the nearest town, which first needed  an appointment making, - tried this several times and often the nearest they could fit me in was two or three months ahead, for the 2 hour only slot of a nurse coming out from the main hospital. Not a lot of help if your skin is so sore the bags won't stay on.

The only person to have seen my stoma is my daughter who, when visiting hospital , witnessed a bag being changed  I watched her face and bless her, she never altered her expression. I have always made it known I am willing to talk about it to anyone who might be in the same situation, it's a very lonely illness, so far no one has taken me up on this offer.

I agree the emotional side is not taken into consideration anywhere near enough, that is why this site is such a huge help.

In the past, I have had said to me so many times "it's all in your mind" , I had actually started to believe it. That's another story.
Ngaire
Jul 06, 2011 11:18 pm
Thankyou, yes it is so lonely.

I have had a colostmy for 2 years and don't talk about it to anyone.  I suppose this could be my fault but I just can't talk to anyone about it unless perhaps they have the same.

I live in a small town with no support at all. I have learnt everything on websites like this from lovely people like you.  So thankyou all.
walkervi
Jul 07, 2011 5:38 pm
You need to learn how to change your own bags first