Travel with stoma

Replies
Views
Ewesful
Oct 01, 2013 12:43 am
Is there anything I need to do to prepare to travel with a stoma? - I need to visit my 2 grandsons' graduations and will have to fly.  What about going through security?  Is there anything else I should know?  -- I have had the stoma since April and doing quite well      - would like to be a bit more knowledgable before embarking on this -- Do I need to ask for a row seat?  Can I take the "blue bag" with me on the plane (scissors) -- THANKS for any help and info -- if this goes well, I'd even like revisit the UK again

Login to see image

rvhumbug
Oct 01, 2013 1:10 am
Traveling with a stoma is not as hard as it may seem. The first rule is to take twice as many disks and bags as you would normally use. The second is you are allowed to take a carry on bag with all your medical supplies without it counting as a carry on.

If you tell the TSA people that you have an Ostomy most will allow scissors as well as the liquids you use for cleaning and preparing the skin for a new disk.

Check out the UOAA website (ostomy.org) for travel information and a pocket card indicating you have a stoma and if a detailed body check is needed you want a medical person involved.

Sit in whatever seat makes you comfortable. I prefer an aisle seat but I'm a little larger thaat the "average". Use the restroom in the terminal as close to boarding as possible to make sure all the air is out of the bag. Airplane restrooms are small and tight.

Good luck and have a safe trip.

Login to see image

Bob H.
Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 36,000 members who truly understand you.

It's not all about ostomy. We talk about everything.

Many come here for advice or to give advice, others have found good friends, and some have even found love. Most importantly, people here are honest and genuinely care.

🛑 Privacy is very important - we have many features that are only visible to members, ensuring a safe and secure environment for you to share and connect.

Create an account and you will be amazed by the warmth of this community.

twobears
Oct 01, 2013 3:38 am
Just have a fun trip.  I have an Illestomy since 1999 Did take two different flights to Seattle, Wa.  I had extra supplies in my carry on bag.  My situation is a little different.  I also Had IV supplies to take along also.  I get dehydrated and have since October 99 Have a groshund line.  I do IV three times a week.  Keeps me out of the hospital.  I did ask my Dr. for a note which I did not need.  But was nice to have.  My Son packed a large box with Ice for the IV bags,  and extra bags and collars. I would suggest you take 3 times what you use at home.  Just in case.  I set in front not far from the restroom.  Also had a window seat.  This was also my first air trip .  So I was  a little anxious.  But all went well.

Also took a 3 month trip in a Motor home to Alaska My husband had always wanted to go.  So It was a very good trip.  Seemed strange to be gone that long.  My Healthcare sent IV bags to me.  We let them know where we would be At that time I was still having the IV bags every other day Had a back pack and Pump so I could hook up and go. wherever I wanted to.  My husband had retired and when we got back from this trip he was asked to go to Seattle to work as a consultant.  

I just go ahead and have a small snack before bed as I can't go to sleep on an empty stomach.  I have MY IV bag running right now.  It is over a 10 hr Period and on these nights I will probably be up 3 times.  I have gotten used to it I guess over this period of time.  Next day I just take a nap. Ha.

Hope you have a great trip, Sure that you will not have any problems.
Past Member
Oct 01, 2013 1:27 pm
Hi. You have had two good replies. I would suggest you get a medical letter listing what you need to carry and immediately go up to the security people and explain your situation and show them your letter. Your supplies don't count as carry on. Also explain this to the airline and show them your certificate, I find an exit row the best but I have also had the privilege of travelling business class.

I always pre-cut my bags and pack my scissors in my case after all you can always buy more scissors but you don't want to risk confiscation. So do as the others advised do at least three times as many as you think you'll need.

Just enjoy your trip I wish I could join you! God Bless.
Bill
Oct 02, 2013 11:51 am
Hello Ewesful. I can't really add much more to the comments already made but I wanted to thank you for this 'useful' forum post and express my gratitude to all your respondees for their excellent suggestions. There are times when I struggle to find suitable topics relevant to ostomies to translate into rhyming verse.  I thought I had almost exhaused the subject-matter in all my previous verses. Then, you pop up with yet another great post and I'm off again to versify.

The result of my plagiarism is posted on my latest blog.

Best wishes  Bill

Getting Support in the Ostomy Community with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister

Play
moonshine
Oct 09, 2013 4:53 am
once you tell security you have a bag they have you step aside - and rub a paper over your bad and they check it for explosive material,,,,seems scary but not.......I always ask for priority boarding at check in so I can sit close to the bathroom....
babsk43
Oct 09, 2013 3:31 pm
You have had very good replies.

Also I do recommend you getting a copy of the book I wrote with 2 other ostomates and my surgeon called Yes We Can, traveling with an ostomy. You can get it on Amazon.com

Happy travels!

Babs
Dilane
Oct 09, 2013 5:11 pm
I have no trouble travelling, I carry a card and extra supplies and put on  a large bag before boarding.  Enjoy your grandchildrens graduation