Test-Driving New Knickers for Ostomate Comfort and Support

Replies
Views
Justbreathe
Sep 06, 2024 12:48 pm

Attention all knickers pickers or an underoo guru

Today, I am test-driving some new knickers, underoos, drawers, underpants—whatever you call them—which I have purchased on Amazon. They appeared to be ideal for all my ostomate requirements, namely:

Comfort
Support of the ole' belly bag as well as the old bag
Eliminate the need for separate hernia support belts or “dealer add-ons” as I refer to them
Minimize the appearance of a “pregnancy look” (especially at age 80 or if you are a male). I am guessing everyone, unless you are pregnant!
In my teen years, okay that was a long time ago but I remember them fondly, I was indoctrinated to “hold that belly in” so those pencil skirts would look good. Although, at under 5' they made me look like a well-sharpened pencil. Anyway….

This indoctrination has been with me my entire life.

As my parastomal hernia continues to protrude, I continue to try and conceal this unwanted bulge. To date, leggings and skinny jeans have been my saviors in terms of concealment, fashion, and most importantly, comfort! As it grows, these are becoming less supportive and concealing. Posts on this site, by both men and women, have prompted me to further investigate alternatives. So, today I test-drive….

Login to see image

Please note: these would not be ideal if a pouch has a “vent” as I believe a certain amount of air needs to be in one's pouch to avoid pancaking and permit down flow. Not to mention, our stomas need some space (spoiled entity). Also, as I have stated in past posts, I use a “dab” of baby oil in my pouch to make it “Teflonized” for downward flow—wish me luck in my test drive today! Thanks, jb

Morning glory
Sep 06, 2024 1:17 pm

Good luck. I have looked at these but not purchased.  

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 36,000 members who truly understand you.

It's not all about ostomy. We talk about everything.

Many come here for advice or to give advice, others have found good friends, and some have even found love. Most importantly, people here are honest and genuinely care.

🛑 Privacy is very important - we have many features that are only visible to members, ensuring a safe and secure environment for you to share and connect.

Create an account and you will be amazed by the warmth of this community.

Nini4
Sep 06, 2024 4:42 pm

Yes, please update us on this. Good use when working out.

AlexT
Sep 06, 2024 5:43 pm

I don’t think I’d look very hot in those, but ya never know. 🤔🤭

Justbreathe
Sep 06, 2024 6:35 pm
Reply to AlexT

Probably not Alex... but for me, I have no plans on showing them to anybody, and even so - if you peek, you'll boo, hence the term peek-a-boo...

I guess the worst-case scenario is an emergency room visit, and I am quite sure they've seen it all... after all, if you're hot, you're hot 🤣

How to Manage Emotions with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister

Play
TerryLT
Sep 06, 2024 7:54 pm

I wear a pair of knickers sort of like that when I want a low profile, as in if I'm wearing something tight-fitting. Otherwise, I just don't find them comfortable, and I don't like to restrict the flow of output in my pouch. I just wear hipster undies and pants and loose tops that hide what's underneath.

Terry

🇦🇺 Jo
Sep 07, 2024 1:08 am

w30bob
Sep 07, 2024 6:56 am
Reply to AlexT

Oh, you're just being shy. Put the pic up and we'll let you know... honest, we will!

;O)

Axl
Sep 07, 2024 12:48 pm

What's this underwear thing?

MsPriss
Sep 07, 2024 3:41 pm

I'm still fairly recently post-surgical. I'm rocking the maternity underwear. It smooths everything out, doesn't irritate my incision, but I do get that “slightly” pregnant look… I'm a woman of childbearing age, so it could be possible.