Volunteering

Replies
Views
Rosiesmom
Jul 20, 2015 4:03 pm

hi, I would love some input on this. I am considering contacting the hospital where I had my surgery. I was going to ask if they thought I could be of any assistance to new ostomy patients. I know they provide an ostomy nurse and contact #'s for local support groups but I w as thinking of a hosp. Visit one ostomy patient to another. Would. Any of you have wanted that? Do you think it a reasonable idea.

just would like to give back.

Rosiesmom

Immarsh
Jul 20, 2015 10:34 pm

Hi,   It's "Marsha" and back in the "olden times" before Stoma nurses,   all they offered were Ostomates who were volunteers from one of the Ostomy Association.  I think it was a good idea back then, and is still good now!.   Go for it.  But you might meet some "territorial resistance.  

Like all things, even back then, there was a "procedure, and a doctor had to authorize or request a visit from a volunteer, while he/ she was in the hospital.   I felt as you did, and wanted to "give back", and was a volunteer visitor for anyone who requested. n fact, that's how I met my husband.   After speaking to him twic, he didn't want me to visit " as an ostomate....he wanted to ask me out on a date".   But that's another story.  I especially wanted to vist children, and in doing so, oftentimes had to cousel parents. 

I tried to start an Ostomy Assoc. under the banner of our local hospital, which is very active as a community health center.  They didn't feel there was a "need" an answer which really upset me.   They said that their "wound care" nurses took care of that, or they called in the Visiting nurse Assoc.   The administrator completely missed the point...It would be advantageous to have an actual "Ostomate" on call to visit new ostomates for added support.  If I decide to pursue it, I would try to go through the local UOA chapter, become a member, and an "official volunteer", just to give yourself more "credibility".   It will be interesting to see what you encounter when you try to "help".

Good luck,

Marsha...

I

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 36,000 members who truly understand you.

It's not all about ostomy. We talk about everything.

Many come here for advice or to give advice, others have found good friends, and some have even found love. Most importantly, people here are honest and genuinely care.

🛑 Privacy is very important - we have many features that are only visible to members, ensuring a safe and secure environment for you to share and connect.

Create an account and you will be amazed by the warmth of this community.

Rosiesmom
Jul 21, 2015 12:29 am

Thanks for the insight. Perhaps I will also talk to my surgeon and see what he thinks, who would have thought that trying to help might be so complicated I will post updates. Wish me luck.

rosiesmom

Mrs.A
Jul 21, 2015 1:56 am

Best of luck to you Rosiesmom. I think it would of been nice to meet a real someone who has a stoma when I was first learning!

Past Member
Jul 21, 2015 4:31 am

I think that is a great idea and have thought about doing the same. I had my first surgery when I was a teen and when I went back to see my surgeon a couple months after the surgery, they asked me if I would be willing to stop by the hospital to see a boy about my age who had just had it done and I can still remember the joy and reassurance that I saw him have when I visited him. 

When I had my recent surgery, it would have been nice to have an ostomate visit me. It's not the same to have a wound care nurse or a nurse that specializes in ostomies.

Stories of Living Life to the Fullest from Ostomy Advocates I Hollister

Play
skidder
Jul 21, 2015 9:36 pm

Hey Rosiesmom, Skidder here. I am now retired (since 2011)and I was a healthcare worker in our local hospital. After working there for a year or two, I was asked one day by my boss (worked with Physical Therapy ) if I would be comfortable talking with a patient who was in the hospital for a knee replacement  and also has a colostomy and questions. Of course I was honored to assist this young lady in any way I could.i can't begin to tell you how wonderful I felt being able to tell her so much...all I wished I had known. We laughed, cried; I was able to turn her on to Meetanostomate, Crohns and Colitus Foundation. It was great and I could see the weight being lifted from her shoulders.if you or any Ostomate who has come to terms with his/her physical challenges get the opportunity to assist others in the same boat...JUST DO IT. There might be something you might touch on that the other patient might not have wanted to ask and  that is worth a million dollars! 

Enjoy it. Choose your words carefully and tell her the truth. Don't patronize the person, but let them know you would be happy to help in any way and if you don't have the correct info, let them know you will find out.you will be blessed for helping others in any way you can. Good luck, Skidder

Rosiesmom
Jul 21, 2015 9:56 pm

Thanks, I hope I can make this happen. It would make me feel like this journey was for a reason. Rosie and I feel so good about ourselves and we want to help others get there. The early days are so scary, I remember the third day., a nurse had asst,. Emptying my pouch. She didn't close it properly and when I stood up there was an avalanche of poo and old blood running down my leg and all over the floor. Shen felt sooo bad but it just about did me in. Thank heaven my rock (hubby Tony) was there. I was emotional,io sly spent for the day but the next day your just had to dust yourself of and move on. These are things that happen with a rainbow of emotions this is where I would like think I could help.please God I can.

rosiesmom

Pinky
Jul 21, 2015 11:25 pm

Hi Rosiesmom - Glad to hear you are doing well.  I would advise that you join your local UOAA support group and go through the visitor training program before calling on patients in the hospital.  2 reasons: 1) You receive beneficial training as well as an ID card, and are covered by UOAA's insurance as a volunteer.  2) In my past life I was a hospital social worker and can remember how difficult it was to get the surgeon to even OK a social work visit, they can be so territorial (as can hospitals since they are always worried about being sued).  Hopefully the WOCN at your local hospital is tied in with the UOAA support group in Miami and can get you certified as a visitor.  Your heart is in the right place!    Pinky  :)

LadyHope
Jul 23, 2015 12:06 pm

Hi Everyone, I just visted my surgeon the other day to say hello and to present my new book.  I keep in touch with him and send him emails several time per year.  I gave him permission, in the early days, to utilize me as a resource for new ostomates.  He refers to me a couple times per year.  Like many of you stated, I only had a WOCN to help me and none of them had a stoma. 

In addition, I wrote a short book to help newbies see that life goes on after surgery.  In the beginning I could not figure how but it has been over 2 years for me.  Stanley and Me are moving right along.  Everyday is a gift and I plan on doing the best that I can with the present.  Like Rosiesmom mentioned, I felt there is a reason why I am walking this path... I believe it is to help others in some way.  Take care.  Have a nice day - it is a beautiful one here.  LH

NancyAnn
Jul 24, 2015 7:49 pm

Hi Rosiesmom, I went to a training class throught the UOA for being a patient visitor. They explain how to talk to patients and things like that. Check with your stoma nurse if you have one or with the hospital where you had the surgery if they heard of that.

I only get called for urostomy patients because that is what I have and it is few and far between. The trouble is the nurses and doctors don't know about us that much. So we have to get word out there. I don't know where you live but ask around. Some people want to talk to someone others don't so good luck. I hope you can help someone. I  know the few people I have talked to were very greatful. 
Login to see image

Ewesful
Jul 24, 2015 9:28 pm

I asked about this too and gave the team permission to pass my name and number to anyone who had similar issues.  They cannot sponsor you etc-- a huge murky mess of legal stuff. But you can also make your effort available to groups like the community nurses, volunteers in action, etc. I have heard that most big hospitals have outreach groups attached to the hospitals - support groups and you can volunteer through them.

I have been contactes by  a few with FAP (rare genetic disease) and with the pancreatic cancer as well.  It can make a big difference - good luck.

vollovr
Jul 25, 2015 1:13 am

Hello Rosie'sMom,

By all means go and do whatever it takes to visit post-op patients.After my first surgery at age 20,a cute college girl with an ileostomy came to visit me.She was wearing very formfitting white jeans! She made all the difference in the world in my recovery and self confidence.I said WOW! If you can look that attractive with an ostomy so can I.It makes such a HUGE difference in ostomates lives to receive a positive outlook from a visitor.

Ival
Jul 25, 2015 12:56 pm

I like your attitude about giving back and it is my belief that a new ostomate will have a leg up on the transition back to normal life once they have conversed with an 'experienced' ostomate.   With that said, there are dos and donts when visiting a new ostomate so visitor training is important because the medical community is concerned about a visitor causing a set back.  The UOAA (successor of UOA) has a visitor trainging program that is implemented at the local ostomy support group level that was developed in concert with the medical community.

I was blessed to have a great ostomy nurse - known as an ET (enterostomal therapist) and an equally great ostomy visitor when I had my surgery in 1978.  

I would recommend you locate the local support group (known as an ASG) nearest to you by visiting www.ostomy.org.   Also, you might consider attending the UOAA National Conference the first week of September.  You can find detail info about the conference at www.ostomy.org

Welcome to the fold.

Ival