Ostomy Memories of Appliance Changeover

Replies
Views
HenryM
Aug 27, 2021 7:45 am

PERHAPS I HAVE BEEN LIVING WITH CATS too long. It dawned on me, as I watched one of my cats perform her post-meal bathing ritual, that my changing procedure follows much the same sort of ritualistic process. It has become so habitual, after years of repetition, as to be much akin to muscle memory, a thoughtless performance of one step after another, do this, then that, wash here, dry there, wipe, wash, swab, etc. I have achieved maximum efficiency within the muscle and memory systems as a result of performing the same changing procedure every fourth day for years. I can remember when I first started dealing with the ostomy, in 1964, I was so blown away and intimidated by it, my fear of doing something wrong, the unnaturalness of the whole thing, that it would take me an hour and a half shut up in the bathroom to accomplish a change, after which I would be exhausted. Now it’s a few minutes to lay out what I need, followed by a few minutes to change, and I’m good to go for another three days. Hell, it would take me longer to shave, except I’ve come to like my beard. “It makes you look old,” someone said. “I am old,” I replied. But resisting decrepitude.

Maried
Aug 28, 2021 1:40 am

It was hard for me to look at my stoma in the beginning.. I though I would just have a hole in my tummy not my guts attached to outside of my tummy.. changing the bag o boy it was like I was doing major surgery .. but there is far more support and much better equipment these days ..

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 36,000 members who truly understand you.

It's not all about ostomy. We talk about everything.

Many come here for advice or to give advice, others have found good friends, and some have even found love. Most importantly, people here are honest and genuinely care.

🛑 Privacy is very important - we have many features that are only visible to members, ensuring a safe and secure environment for you to share and connect.

Create an account and you will be amazed by the warmth of this community.

Ebony&Ivory
Aug 30, 2021 11:54 am

I remember those days!

Theway I was taught to change my appliance was ritualistic and time consuming. I'm sure the nurses had good intentions and wanted to teach me good habits and hygiene. Much of the time was spent explaining.

Anyway, like you over time I was able to come up with a much more efficient way of doing it. I'm done in five minutes now!

E&i