Balancing Irrigation Practices While Traveling in Mexico

Replies
Views
Jkwcpa
Sep 21, 2016 2:39 pm

i think I would like to try irrigation but have a question. Does anyone irrigate and travel? How do you manage this in a resort in Mexico? 

Manina
Sep 21, 2016 8:42 pm

I'd recommend using bottled water instead of tap water.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 36,000 members who truly understand you.

It's not all about ostomy. We talk about everything.

Many come here for advice or to give advice, others have found good friends, and some have even found love. Most importantly, people here are honest and genuinely care.

🛑 Privacy is very important - we have many features that are only visible to members, ensuring a safe and secure environment for you to share and connect.

Create an account and you will be amazed by the warmth of this community.

Bill
Sep 24, 2016 7:52 am

It depends how long the jouney is. I would think that from Michigan to Mexico, you would be able to irrigate before you go and still have plenty of time spare when you get there before you need to irrigate again. I know some people can go two days between irrigations but I need to do it every 24hours, or at a push I might last to 36hours. The journey from the UK to where I want to go in NZ needs plane changes so can sometimes take all of that and more. However, I use a pressurised water system rather than the gravity feed one usually supplied, so I don't have problems with finding places to hang the pouch as my supply of water sits on the floor and is pumped in. This means I can either do it on the plane or in the transit lounge on the long journey.

For information on a pressurised irrigator see the Braun Irypump. www.bbraun.co.uk

For an overview of their previous 'irridrain' pump, you could look at one of my old blogs, where I wrote a review.

Alternatively, if you cannot afford their top-of -the-range system, you could make your own pressurised pump like I did - out of a garden sprayer and a Coloplast cone which has a hand held adjustment arrangement. It has worked perfectly well for me for years and as my new pressurised container is short and fat, rahter than long and thin like the old one, I can stuff it full of other gear while it's not in use. Very handy when you are travelling!

Many people travel with a stoma  and don't have too much of a problem but I would take heed of what Manina has said about the water. Although, I've heard some awful stories about some bottled water being simply obtained from local sources, whichwould mean that you are no better off using them than you would be getting it out of the  tap.

Never let your stoma hold you back from doing what you want to do.

Best wishes

Bill 

Jkwcpa
Sep 24, 2016 11:25 am

Thank you for responding. I have not heard of a pressurized irrigator before this. That sounds so much more portable than the bag that has to hang on something. I will definately follow up on this. Thanks, too for the encouragement, I am trying widen my boundaries a bit.