Lump Near Ostomy Bag After Recent Surgery - Normal?

Replies
Views
Madhope
Oct 18, 2016 9:42 pm

I just had my surgery last monday and I'm still in alot of pain.  I've notice there is a huge lump where the osotomy bag is.  Is that normal?  How long is this pain going to last?

Bill
Oct 20, 2016 5:30 am

Hello Madhope. Pain and swelling are 'normal' after surgery - Or so they told me. It usually takes about six weeks before things heal sufficiently to be able to tell whether these things are normal or need another look. In my case the lump was a peristomal hernia which, I now understand to be 'normal' in the sense that more people get one than don't. The human body is remarkably good at healing itself but it needs time. This requires the patient to have patience and hopefully all will turn out well in the end. (excuse the pun)

Best wishes

Bill

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 37,000 members who truly understand you.

It's not all about ostomy. We talk about everything.

Many come here for advice or to give advice, others have found good friends, and some have even found love. Most importantly, people here are honest and genuinely care.

🛑 Privacy is very important - we have many features that are only visible to members, ensuring a safe and secure environment for you to share and connect.

Create an account and you will be amazed by the warmth of this community.

Madhope
Oct 21, 2016 11:58 am

Thank you so much. I'm not even two weeks out of surgery. Just freaking out about the lump and the pain there. You were very helpful. This is a hard transmission.