Is This Pancaking? Changing an Appliance in an Emergency

Replies
Views
ycats
Nov 18, 2016 9:50 pm

i arrived at a clients house with the feeling that i was backed up;;;  is that pancaking?  i had t0 change the entire appliance  thank goodness we knew one another

NotDeadYet
Nov 19, 2016 5:37 am

Thank goodness you had a spare!

Pancaking, to me, is when you have lots of poo clustering around your stoma. And THAT, if it gets too intense, will certainly cause conditions for a possible "Breach" of whatever adhesive you have with your bag.

Pancaking, to me,  is like pancake make-up.  Thick.  You might need a fingernail to get the rest off your skin, and in the mornings, with my daily bag change, I may or may not have to do that. If I have to scrape it off, I consider that to be pancaking.

I guess yours must have been very thick and threatening your adhesion id it called for a bag change at work. . .

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 36,000 members who truly understand you.

It's not all about ostomy. We talk about everything.

Many come here for advice or to give advice, others have found good friends, and some have even found love. Most importantly, people here are honest and genuinely care.

🛑 Privacy is very important - we have many features that are only visible to members, ensuring a safe and secure environment for you to share and connect.

Create an account and you will be amazed by the warmth of this community.

CharK63
Dec 28, 2016 8:58 am

I'm late on this and sorry if I'm butting in unwanted but my reference to pancaking is when the stool for whatever reason doesn't go into the bag. 

Its still being output but it's on my skin and burning me. Oftentimes I would be watching and think I directed it into the bag but there it is backed up outside the hole until there's enough that the adhesion unsticks and then a lot comes out. 

I hope you understand my description. Since my stoma didn't stick out at all I used extra paste to secure bag to my skin in hopes that it would flow into the bag. 

My stoma nurse tried to get me to cut the hole the same diameter as my stoma but that never worked. O mostly attempted to keep stools not too runny not too hard and even then I tried to direct it with my hands outside of the bag. 

I was SO glad that I didn't have to work but I also wondered if having nothing to take my mind off it made me a little crazy. 

Again, excuse me for backtracking

charlotte

Julieann58
Jul 12, 2017 8:36 pm

I know it's been a while since you wrote that reply, but you describe exactly what I am having problems with.  Did you ever figure out why?  My Dr. told me to take Mirilax every day and that makes it go down in the bag pretty easily every morning, but then later in the day it can back up behind my bag.  I made the whole bigger, I made the whole smaller but it doesn't seem to matter.  I am thinking since it helps with the Mirilax, I just need to keep my stool more liquidy!  I am going to start drinking a lot more fluid.  How are you doing?  I have only had this for 4 weeks.  Had emergency surgery for diverticultis, bowel abscess and perforated colon which led to peritonitis.  I think the bag is permanent, but I'm trying to be OK with that.  What else can I do?  At least I'm alive and active and workng.