Guitar Playing Causing Ileostomy Bag Leaks – Any Advice?

Replies
Views
Jayd
Feb 07, 2017 9:08 pm

Hi,

Since I have recovered and come to terms with the fact my ileostomy is now permanent. I have decided to learn to play the guitar. I don't generally suffer with bag leakages. Now when I am playing the guitar I am getting loads. The pressure from the guitar seems to make my bag leak more often than not. This is very frustrating especially when I am having a lesson. 

Does anybody have any suggestions of what I could try to combat this?

Thanks

Jason

Primeboy
Feb 08, 2017 5:27 am

Hi Jason,

You are probably preventing your output from going into the bag because your guitar is pressed firmly against your stoma causing the output to pressure and then break the flange's seal.  I had a similar problem with my car's seat belt, but I now adjust it to lay above my stoma. You may not have that flexibility to raise the guitar, but something like the stoma guard which is advertized on this website might do the trick.  Also, get to know your stoma's working hours.  In my case, it's only active for an hour or so after I eat. You may want to avoid eating for 2 hours before your lesson.  You will get other helpful suggestions here; but, if everything fails, consider switching to the ukulele.  Good luck!

PB

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 36,000 members who truly understand you.

It's not all about ostomy. We talk about everything.

Many come here for advice or to give advice, others have found good friends, and some have even found love. Most importantly, people here are honest and genuinely care.

🛑 Privacy is very important - we have many features that are only visible to members, ensuring a safe and secure environment for you to share and connect.

Create an account and you will be amazed by the warmth of this community.

Jayd
Feb 09, 2017 6:17 pm

Hi Primeboy,

i am having my lesson at the peak time of my stoma activity. I will try to eat after my lesson, to see if that works. If not, I'll try a guard.

Thanks for your advice

I'll let you know how I get on.

Jason

NotDeadYet
Feb 22, 2017 3:48 pm

Great advice, Primeboy!  Hi, Jayd!  Sitting in cars seems to make me leak, and my cancer treatments are 5 hours away!

I plan my meals accordingly, and this solved the problem.   After a few blowouts in really awkward places, I also keep my meals small for damage control!

Jayd
Feb 28, 2017 12:21 pm

Hi Primeboy,

I have taken your advise and eating after my guitar lesson. So far so good.

I guess it makes sense when you think about it. Sometimes I just don't always see the obvoius.

Thanks for your advice.

Staying Hydrated with an Ostomy with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister

Play