Post-Surgery B12 and Anemia Issues: Seeking Advice and Experiences

Replies
Views
freedancer
Sep 02, 2017 10:34 pm

I had my first full CBC done since my emergency surgery on the 12th of July when I received my ileostomy.   My doctor went over them, explaining that it showed I was anemic, my thyroid was wacked out and issues with B12 and anemia. I had hypothyroidism before the surgery that was under control but now is not.  The doctor is running further tests on the anemia and B12 issues.  She is thinking that I am not absorbing my nutrients like I should be.  She raised my levothyroxine to start with.  I thought things were not OK because I was losing so much hair and my skin was so dry.  I do not understand the B12 or anemia issue however.  Have any of you folks had B12 or anemia issues since your surgeries??  What have you found out about it and what did you do to correct the issue?  Have any of you had an issue with absorbing your nutrients?   Thanks

Xerxes
Sep 02, 2017 11:56 pm

Well, the fact that you have an ileostomy might explain it. Did they remove most or all of your large intestine? The colon or large intestine normally has a high population of bacteria that make vitamin B12 which is essential for the process of red blood cell formation. A deficiency in these bacteria due to, in this case, remval of the colon, will result in a deficiency in the vitamin B12 and the signs of anemia occur for obvious reasons. I would think that your MD will put you on vitamin B12 supplement or injection of the B12. I do not do why your hypothyroidism has increased. An endocrinologist is the person to see.

X_

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 36,000 members who truly understand you.

It's not all about ostomy. We talk about everything.

Many come here for advice or to give advice, others have found good friends, and some have even found love. Most importantly, people here are honest and genuinely care.

🛑 Privacy is very important - we have many features that are only visible to members, ensuring a safe and secure environment for you to share and connect.

Create an account and you will be amazed by the warmth of this community.

freedancer
Sep 03, 2017 1:29 am

Thanks, I will be retested in 6 weeks so I guess I will find out more than. 

Beshlie
Sep 05, 2017 9:24 pm

Hello Freedancer,

If you have had your terminal ilium removed, which absorbs B12 from your food, you will need B12 injections.  I have them every 3 months.   

Beshlie