How to stay dry in the shower?

Replies
Views
swiffer
Jun 16, 2010 6:00 pm
I have tried a couple of ways to keep my pouch and patch dry in the shower and nothing has worked. Anyone have any good ways?
Mndwlkr
Jun 16, 2010 9:47 pm
Want to kept your  ostomy bag and skin barrier dry in the shower? Shower only your back.

Seriously, I've tried waterproof tapes, taping plastic bags over the skin barrier, and on infinitum....  I've pretty much said "O.K., shower time. Time to change the ol' skin barrier anyway". Resignment has proved less frustrating than resistance in this situation. Anybody got anything workable? I'm with Swiffer-frustrated.
Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 36,000 members who truly understand you.

It's not all about ostomy. We talk about everything.

Many come here for advice or to give advice, others have found good friends, and some have even found love. Most importantly, people here are honest and genuinely care.

🛑 Privacy is very important - we have many features that are only visible to members, ensuring a safe and secure environment for you to share and connect.

Create an account and you will be amazed by the warmth of this community.

annie_nu2
Jun 16, 2010 10:09 pm
Mine is waterproof. Nothing gets out and water from the shower doesn't get in or loosen the adhesive (maybe soaking in a hot tub would loosen it but I haven't been that daring yet. After the shower just dry off with the towel and, if you need to, use the low setting on a blow dryer. Works for me for over a year.

Then again, if it is time to change just take it all off. Feels really great!!

Good luck.

Pat

Login to see image

Login to see image

Login to see image

swiffer
Jun 16, 2010 11:00 pm
I have had mine for 6 years.I am on a 6 day change cycle.I can take one shower in the middle of the cycle and put more tape around the patch until the 6th day where i do the whole 45 min shower that does feel great.

I did order that neoprene thing you wrap around your mid waste and pump it up tight to your skin {I don't remember the name }The first one did not work so they sent me another and it did not work either.{I now consider it a big scam on us that are looking for a fix to our problem}
Past Member
Jun 17, 2010 2:48 am
Hi!

I tryed a few different things but this one works best for me ,

Bought some elastic and a toggle thingy (the toggle thingy is  one those thingys you have at the bottom hem of jumpers or on a hood of a jacket that you pull the string and it holds it tight)

i put  the elastic  round my waist and pull it tightish with toggle thingy holding it, then hang a piece of plastic from it like a apron this cover both my bags nicely .

Hopefuly that make sence     lol  

Login to see image

Stories of Living Life to the Fullest from Ostomy Advocates I Hollister

Play
lottagelady
Jun 17, 2010 8:20 am
' Weir Comfees' have a waterproof pouch pocket - presume if you google it will come up?

Rach xx
Past Member
Jun 17, 2010 1:44 pm

Me too!  I shower every day and even when I go swimming, I still only change the base once a week (2 piece Hollister) and the bags every 2-3 days.  I thought most appliances were waterproof, perhaps the base is not sticking well in the first place.
My shower first thing basically wakes me up, couldn't imagine how I'd be without it!
Do agree though, that weekly "change day" shower is bloody great hey!
Hope you find something that works,
Jo  

Login to see image

swiffer
Jun 17, 2010 8:26 pm

Thats the same thing but different name as the two i tried.It would not seal up and when i did tape it where i found the seal not holding{around the belly button}and did get it to seal for a little while the pressure of the thing in the stoma area hurt and i thought it may cause trouble.
bikerboy
Jun 17, 2010 10:15 pm
Okay for me this is an easy one.I put some adapt paste on a wafer like Im going to change it.set it aside ,pull off the old wafer put it in a waste bag and just jump in the shower and do my thing.Being a welder and a plumber its NOT going to hurt the drain.Its NOT going to clog it,and you DONT have to cover your stoma either.If it leaks so what .As I finish my shower I run cold water for a few seconds on the stoma and it slams shut for up to 10 minutes giving plenty of time to put on a wafer and bag.I've talked to many people and they are doing it now.LIVE A LITTLE, ITS ALL FUN.

I sweat heavy when Im welding on ships and have'nt had a wafer come off and swim in the ocean with ONLY the wafer and its never fallen off.I get some stares but I stay away from the kiddy pool.Last year in guam I was snorkeling down to 25 feet and didnt have my bag on.I looked around and wondered way so many fish were following me.I didnt realize my stoma was crappin and all the fish were having a feeding frenzy behind me.For the next 30 days I was feeding the fish and was drawing a crowd of onlookers they were japanese tourists who were out swiming and saw what I was doing.I was laughing and they were too.I figure if fish crap in the sea then why cant I.Just a little vacation humor(but true).
Bosco
Jun 18, 2010 1:47 am
I use the Coloplast 2-piece and remove the pouch and wear just the base in the shower.  Then on complete change day, I remove everything before the shower.  Showering with just the barrier and no pouch cleans everything up fresh and then put on a new pouch and it is almost as good as right after a complete change.
swiffer
Jun 18, 2010 4:44 am
Remind me to never go in the ocean with you bikerboy.

Login to see image

The cold water was a good tip.
bikerboy
Jun 18, 2010 4:50 am
I have the pacific you can have the atlantic.lol.lol
swiffer
Jun 18, 2010 5:12 am
Between you and BP i guess i will have to stay with the Lake of the Ozarks.

Login to see image

Past Member
Jun 18, 2010 12:22 pm
Those Ozarks are my old stomping grounds, nothing wrong with the beauty.  I am glad you and bikerboy found your place on this earth.  The jokes have been so good lately too.  I felt bad for Montana as I would of let them arrest me first.  Not even with a tear, I just would of never let them intimadate me and I dont steal either.  Now biker and the airport, not much you can do about that, I am just not flying for awhile.  I am so close to my reversal and my life back, that I am going to buy me a convertable black Mustang.  I did get the one that was the 25th annaversay as a gift in my twenties, they only made 5,000 of those.  Even though I use to only drive Lincolns and now not driving at all, I was always a Mustang women.  Havent wanted to drive, but I can, so far I have been getting my Drivers Licence for ten years since they started that, I hate Hassles and any drama I try to avoid.  Hope you boys have fun and the Fish is great in the Ozarks, I love fish, God Love you, Jenny
Pinky
Jun 19, 2010 5:37 am
Jeez, Swiffer, you live right near my ex-husband.  Feel free to remove your pouch when you swim in the Lake of the Ozarks!!

Bikerboy - you are a classic.  LOL doesn't even begin to cover it when I read that part about the fish and the feeding frenzy!

Jenny - have you tried the 8 hour Vitala thingee?  Has anyone?  It's been available in Europe for a while I guess.

And ladies - what brand are you using that is so waterproof?  I've only heard of Cymed "second skin" being that waterproof and I can't seem to deal with the wafer - it gets all tangled up like Saran Wrap!

Pinky

Login to see image

Past Member
Jun 19, 2010 6:28 am
Hi Pinky hon, I havent tried the new one, I want too, I am going to buy it if it will fit me so I can let people know how it works, I so would love to go to the waterpark, but Pinky I have a 12 year old that is a thrill seeker like his mom.  We ride some really scary and crazy slides and I use to get summer passes for the water park, but I am so worried about going on something so fast and hitting the water so hard, plus one summer I flipped off a water slide and they had to call an ambulance but I am here and well.  I just know if do something to crazy I could mess up my surgery in October and I dont want to do that.  Your so sweet to think about me, knowing I would love those 8 hours of living without any bag.  Pinky I promise if it wasnt summer I would care less about trying that new gagit, but I love the thrill of the water.  I'm going to keep using this Nu Hope Hernia belt and wait until after surgery and next year you all will be hearing about my crazy trips like stepping out of an airplane.  I just want to know it wont hurt my body when I do these things.  I can take a broken arm, but no way have I ever had to deal with a Hernia and dang I have owned so many stores you think I would of got one.  Pinky I am watching out for this and I almost flew to I think Arizona and my husband said honey you dont have much longer to wait, but darn I love helping people and if anyone has to go through what I did and freak out, I want to help them.  Pinky If I can wear this I will get it before surgery even if I have to as a Doctor I know to get me one.  I will try anything if it will give people hope.  Well almost anything, I am also a careful person.  TY so much for caring and I will let you know as soon as I get one how they work on Colostomies.  I am just so excited that I have my belt I stuff my bag in every time I shower, I sleep in it and live in it and all together I have three belts on.  But the silk one covers every thing and I wear a tight t-shirt and my belt and zip my bag in it and jeans, plus if you cuff them down one cuff they fit perfect, beyond taught me that.  He cares about us all too and he is here if anyone of us think we cant make it, he also gives us a reason to fight, he fought and his Illio saved his life and to be honest Pinky I am glad he has it.  He looks good and healthy now and I am not sure but I bet he feels better too, I should of asked him that as he was so kind to me.  Anyway as soon as I know when I can try it I promise Pinky you will be the first to know, Love, Jenny
bepositive
Jun 19, 2010 1:14 pm
This is what I do at the bath time. I have a good quality plastic sheet 10 inch X 20 inch in size. I fold it  in the middle and I pass a thick, string, cotton chord underneath and tie it around the waist, tightly. The plastic covers the pouch and prevents it from getting wet. Also a hand shower is more appropriate than a fixed shower.
swiffer
Jun 19, 2010 3:39 pm
Well Pinky they have shut down most of the Lake of the Ozarks this year from swimming because of e-coili so i know what you mean. Still a great party place though.1500 miles of shore line full of bars and hotels .
Pinky
Jun 20, 2010 12:36 am
Well Swiffer, after divorcing me my ex became a Mormon so none of those delights would appeal to him - too bad!  

Login to see image

Teacher417
Jun 20, 2010 3:10 am
Someone told me to try Glad Press and Seal at an ostomy support meeting. I use it all the time. It helps, but isn't perfect. Try not to let the shower spray directly at it and use a good size piece across your abdomen with the bag  folded in half under it.
cagabolsa
Jun 20, 2010 5:02 pm

Maybe Swiffer should take Pinkies ex-husband for a swim, hehehe

Login to see image

I just can´t be bothered by my bag getting wet, because it will dry again.
And it also gets wet by itself when it´s blazing hot and I am sweating.
To prevent the wafer from getting wet I tape it off with surgical adhesive film from 3M.
I cut one film into 2 strips because that´s the best width.
It´s called Tegaderm Film; 4 in x 4 3/4 in - 10 cm x 12 cm; Order number 1626W
Have a look on the 3M.com web page. It´s fairly cheap.
Good thing about this stuff is that it sticks superbly, does not cause rashes, it breathes, does not let water through, and it slows down/retains upcoming leakages.
So if you do have a little accidents, your leathers aren´t soaked immediately and you have some extra time to look for a facility. Don´t wait too long though because in case of an ileostomy the corrosive bowel contents have more time to eat away your skin.

Haven´t been on my bike for ages.

Cheers,
cagabolsa
Jun 20, 2010 5:59 pm
Why did I not think of this before?????

Just take down the shower curtain and wrap it around your waist.

As easy as that.

The whole bathroom will get wet, but your baggy stays dry, hahahaha

Login to see image

Don´t forget to take off the shower curtain before you step out of the shower to avoid painful crash landings.

p.s. if you shower in a cabin, forget what I wrote

Login to see image

swiffer
Jun 20, 2010 7:07 pm
What!!!!!!!!!!!! Get back on that bike. Oh and some good advice there Cagabola
cagabolsa
Jun 20, 2010 7:32 pm

Yeah, you´re right. On Tuesday I will take my 1500 cc Intruder out of the garage, pressure clean it, put on my Australian leathers, American boots and helmet (my head is very very big) and let someone take a new pic for my profile.

It´s a pitty that they don´t produce cool leather (waterproof) ostomy bags for us bikers.
I wonder how many ostomized bikers there are.
Would be nice to organize a bag bikers event.
As long as our machines run, nobody can hear the belly farts

Login to see image

Login to see image

Login to see image

Login to see image

Ride on ............................

Login to see image

Past Member
Jun 20, 2010 11:40 pm

Login to see image

Login to see image

Login to see image

Login to see image

Cagabola, Thank you for that laugh it was so good.  I was shocked that you said it but it was one of those jokes you hardly ever hear.  I needed that today and that was like desert so thanks again, Jenny
BK1940
Jun 22, 2010 2:37 pm
If you have a regular ostomy, try going to daily irrigation ( takes about 45 mn)  use all disposible stuff, irrigation sleeves and pouches, then shower using nothing. best part about irrigating, NO WAFFERS, hardly ever anything in your pouch and if you have a bad irrigation anytime, you just change the pouch. Years ago when I did wear waffers, I didnt have a problem showering, I never tried to keep it dry. I think it's all in the seal you make on your waffer. I hated those damn things though. Good luck
Past Member
Jun 22, 2010 6:26 pm
FL, I hear ya, I would love to get in the pool with my son and I can wait another year for the Water slides, but we love the water.  I dont want a Hernia, but even more I dont want a bag busting.  I didnt study this one in school, I should of been paying attention.  Anyways what is the best way to learn how to do this and I am just a Colostomy and in for a reconnect in Octomber.  I would love to take my youngest in the pool here but am scared, if I know it is safe I wont be afraid.  If there is a group or website to teach me so I dont mess up I would be so grateful, thank you for the Hope, Love Jenny
Past Member
Mar 04, 2011 12:21 pm
I cover the thing with a wash cloth and hold it with my hand and with some flexible moves in the shower I find I can shower without getting it wet.  I have it covered while I get wet, then uncovered while I soap up, then cover it with another dry washcloth while I rinse and it has worked for me.  2 dry washcloths in the shower each time.  Maybe this will work for you.
baggette
Apr 09, 2011 5:16 pm
I bought the plastic shower skirt and the Weir Comfees "waterproof" pouch pocket, which promptly filled up with water and actually served as a water holder rather than water-proofer! Was like a swimming pool for my pouch! That was my experience, anway.

Haven't found anything that really works or lives up to its promises.

Login to see image

Bikerboy!