Visible Stitch on Mom's Loop Ileostomy - Should I Worry?

Replies
Views
deborahspain
Feb 01, 2018 11:38 am

Hello everyone,

Since English is not my native language, I would like to apologize in advance for any grammatical mistakes.

My mom has an emergency loop ileostomy performed in Febrary of 2017. For the last couple of weeks, I've started to see a stitch on the top of the prominent stoma (the one which doesn't produce output); specially when the stoma is more active with peristalsis. Honestly, I think that the stitch has to be an internal one that, somehow, I can see now. At the beginning, it was black but now it became white and, I think, more loose. I really hope I can explain myself properly. 

I'm planning of getting an appoitment next week with the Stoma Nurse to have it checked, but I'm kind of freaking out. I'm afraid to lost a stitch or worse.

Have anyone experienced anything like this?. What it was, how it went?.

Thank you very much. Kind regards.

Bill
Feb 03, 2018 8:02 am

Hello deborahspain.   I know these sort of things are very worrying but often there is a simple explanation. In all probability, it will be an internal dissolvable stitch and the change of colour will be part of the dissolving process. However, Your idea of seeing a stoma nurse for reassurance is a good one as they are very knowlegeable about all things stoma.

NB: We don't concern ourselves with grammatical errors on this site and your English is great!

Best wishes

Bill 

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 36,000 members who truly understand you.

It's not all about ostomy. We talk about everything.

Many come here for advice or to give advice, others have found good friends, and some have even found love. Most importantly, people here are honest and genuinely care.

🛑 Privacy is very important - we have many features that are only visible to members, ensuring a safe and secure environment for you to share and connect.

Create an account and you will be amazed by the warmth of this community.