Troubleshooting Leaky Urostomy Pouch Issues

Replies
Views
littlejohnnyboy99
Feb 05, 2018 11:09 pm

I have a illeal conduit urostomy . Was wondring if anyone can help me with leaking problems???? I have been having a lot of problems since I have been inFl for the winter. My wife thinks it si because I drink beer. I lay down putting the pouch on. Does anyone have suggestions that might me????

iMacG5
Feb 15, 2018 9:41 pm

Hi guys. I don't know much about urostomies, but I'm guessing the main thing is to have a good seal between the appliance and our skin. Not different from a colostomy appliance. Starting with clean, dry skin, I use a liquid barrier film and a moldable Eaken type seal, and then the wafer. I've never had a leak, and now I'm sorry I wrote those words.

Hope this helps.

Mike

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 36,000 members who truly understand you.

It's not all about ostomy. We talk about everything.

Many come here for advice or to give advice, others have found good friends, and some have even found love. Most importantly, people here are honest and genuinely care.

🛑 Privacy is very important - we have many features that are only visible to members, ensuring a safe and secure environment for you to share and connect.

Create an account and you will be amazed by the warmth of this community.

busygma
Feb 27, 2018 2:11 pm

My first suggestion would be to make sure you are completely dry with no drips of urine when you apply your barrier. One small drip will make it leak. You might try standing in front of a mirror to apply your barrier and pouch. Your position when you lie down is different than when you are standing. I have a flush stoma and have found for me it works better. I use the Coloplast Mio Click system with a deep convex. I have tried several brands and this has worked best for me. I haven't had a leak in a couple of months now. There are skin preps out there that will make your skin tacky and help your barrier to stick better. Hope this helps.