Advice for Managing Stoma Retraction from Personal Experience

Replies
Views
Seasoned Osto
Jul 23, 2018 11:31 am

Have had an ileostomy for 22 years now.  Stoma retraction has happened quite a few times over the years.  Honestly have been able to trigger it to food allergies or a continuous supply of bacteria in water ( well water and just add peroxide pump and that will solve the the well water issue & if that is too expensive, adding peroxide to your drinking  water really helps, and it only has to be to the water that is not boiled, and possibly your bath water could benefit

For the food allergies, can have coffee but not have coffee with cream, and sunflower seeds  We can have food allergies with knowing about it.  It happens when I have more of the product, ie 3 or 4 cups of coffee or a whole bowl of sunflower seeds.  Had to eliminate eggs out of my diet.

But it so worth it, figuring these things out.  Been to the doctor and nurse on retraction, and they can't fix it, and I was not about to have another surgery as the problem can arise again.  

Been working great for me, so just want to share with others.

Bill
Jul 24, 2018 5:24 am

Hello Seasoned Osto. Thanks for sharing you experiences. I found your post very interesting.

Best wishes

Bill

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 36,000 members who truly understand you.

It's not all about ostomy. We talk about everything.

Many come here for advice or to give advice, others have found good friends, and some have even found love. Most importantly, people here are honest and genuinely care.

🛑 Privacy is very important - we have many features that are only visible to members, ensuring a safe and secure environment for you to share and connect.

Create an account and you will be amazed by the warmth of this community.

Mrs.A
Aug 05, 2018 11:08 pm

This is interesting, glad you shared it with us.