Advice on Foods to Thicken Ileostomy Output

Replies
Views
freedancer
Sep 12, 2018 1:59 am

I woke up this morning very nauseous.  I didn't toss my cookies but just felt like I needed too.  My output is like water from my ileostomy but I am not having any pain so I do not think I am blocked.  I have a mild head and neck ache as well.  I am trying to keep hydrated with fluids but can any of you tell me what I can eat to thicken up my output so I don't end up dehydrated??  I am feeling hungry but stuff is flying through me at record speed.  Would oatmeal help the issue??  Thank you!

dadnabbit
Sep 12, 2018 2:36 am

Freedancer, I have found that a baked sweet potato is great for thickening output but if you even think you MIGHT be blocked, you really don't want to EAT.  And if there is a small blockage, something with whole grains like oatmeal provides something else to grab onto the blockage, creating a bigger problem.  You can be blocked without immediate pain.  Pain will manifest with more food but nausea, even without anything actually coming up (ie dry heaves) is a strong sign, as is a fever.  Drinking LOTS of fluids is the most important thing and replacing the electrolytes is extremely important for the kidneys. A low electrolyte count can explain headaches, as well as a loss of energy.  A hot beverage, like tea, gentle belly massage and walking around for motility are all helpful to move things along.  Our bodies pass things along usually at a six-eight hour interval after ingesting.  Of course that depends on how much of your large (approx 5 ft.) and small (approx. 22 ft.) intestine are still intact.  Less intestine, less time.  Liquids can move more quickly.  HOWEVER, even without eating our bodies create steady liquidy output from digestive fluids, and pills especially those that are coated or time released as well as food like whole kernnel corn, can sometimes pass through almost immediately.  Hope some/any of this helps.

Peace

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 36,000 members who truly understand you.

It's not all about ostomy. We talk about everything.

Many come here for advice or to give advice, others have found good friends, and some have even found love. Most importantly, people here are honest and genuinely care.

🛑 Privacy is very important - we have many features that are only visible to members, ensuring a safe and secure environment for you to share and connect.

Create an account and you will be amazed by the warmth of this community.

Little Red
Sep 12, 2018 10:18 pm

Free dancer,  It has been a couple of days  how are you feeling now ?  I sometimes wake up nausiated  but one up and moving it go's away.    My ET  nurse said to drink gator ade  it will replentish electrolytes.    as far as the nausea  and loose stool,   I have been told to  go to the ER and leave it up to them,  Better safe than sorry.