Living with a Prolapsed Stoma: Seeking Community Insights

Replies
Views
Hermit
Nov 23, 2018 11:11 pm

Have colostomy for life due to cancer! Just curious, how many people have a prolapsed stoma? Mine extends to 5 inches! About to have my surgeon reduce it!

Puppyluv56
Nov 24, 2018 2:08 am

Hope your surgery goes well! I have not had any problems as of yet, hoping that continues! 

Does it cause you pain? Heard read that it is not serious but those that write that have probably never had any Ostomy and knows what the issue causes! 

Puppy

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 36,000 members who truly understand you.

It's not all about ostomy. We talk about everything.

Many come here for advice or to give advice, others have found good friends, and some have even found love. Most importantly, people here are honest and genuinely care.

🛑 Privacy is very important - we have many features that are only visible to members, ensuring a safe and secure environment for you to share and connect.

Create an account and you will be amazed by the warmth of this community.

Bill
Nov 24, 2018 9:24 am

Hello honestabe. This is an interesting concept which I have contemplated many times as I experiment with how to have more control of the output. I may be completely wrong, but my conception is that if my stoma stuck out further, then I would have more options as to how to direct the flow from it. I compare it with  the options we have with a penis, where we rarely get output on the skin surrounding the appendage because we have some directional control on the output. I have experimented with stoma-collars and condoms, and, in retrospect, I felt that having a more protruding stoma could be an advantage. Obviously there would be a trade-off with the disadvantages, so perhaps, with your first-hand experiences,  you could enlighten us in a little more detail as to what these disadvantages would be.

Perhaps I should add that my vision of a protruding stoma would be with a sheath/tube  of extra skin to the top of the stoma so that the bulk of the colon would not be exposed as it is now. As expressed earlier, this would make it more like a penis. 

Thanks

Bill    

dls
Nov 24, 2018 1:09 pm

Honestabe, I don't know if I'm having the same problem, so HELP EVERYONE:  I'm only a year with Stomy, I don't know how long this has been going on, but my stoma 'periscopes': sometimes it is the reguar little button raised several mm, somtimes it 'grows'.  Not much, just a few MM, it does not make my bag protrude. But it's weird.  It follows no pattern: output can occur regardless of its size, the temperature does not seem to make a difference, nor does bathing affect it. I've watched 'flatten back' while I am bathing. There is no pain, no blood, and of course I don't feel it change size.  Is this normal, a prolapse or am I developing a hernia? Finally--it does not stay extended, it always flattens back to it's usual size, and I have not noticed it getting longer when it does 'periscope".  I want a healthy stoma, I don't need a litte penis.