I’m new!

Replies
Views
Christian_r
Jan 26, 2019 6:52 am

hey everyone I’m new to this group! I can say I have never met another ostomate in person 😬

Past Member
Jan 26, 2019 8:41 am

Welcome to the group, Christian.   You're not alone in never having met another ostomate in person.  Neither have I, and I'm sure, neither have a lot of people on this site.  That's one of the things that makes this site so great.  If we can't meet someone in a similar situation in the flesh, at least we can talk to people who totally understand what we're going through. This site has helped me a lot....and I'm sure you'll get a lot out of it too!  Linda

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 36,000 members who truly understand you.

It's not all about ostomy. We talk about everything.

Many come here for advice or to give advice, others have found good friends, and some have even found love. Most importantly, people here are honest and genuinely care.

🛑 Privacy is very important - we have many features that are only visible to members, ensuring a safe and secure environment for you to share and connect.

Create an account and you will be amazed by the warmth of this community.

xnine
Jan 26, 2019 9:53 am

There are more of us out there then you think.

Past Member
Jan 26, 2019 10:44 am

You're right, xnine.   When I think about it, we've probably all met ostomates before.  We just never knew it.  lol

mild_mannered_super_hero
Jan 26, 2019 1:27 pm

welcome

Living with Your Ostomy | Hollister

Play
sherileo
Jan 26, 2019 4:40 pm

Welcome! ❤️

Christian_r
Jan 26, 2019 5:56 pm

Thank you! Yeah it’s crazy that there are so many of us and yet so difficult to find an ostomate in person. It’s also because you can’t tell if they dont say anythinf and well I never mention it to random people lol

Christian_r
Jan 26, 2019 5:57 pm

Thank you! Looking forward to getting to everyone! 

Christian_r
Jan 26, 2019 5:57 pm

Thank you!!

xnine
Jan 26, 2019 7:01 pm

There are about 100 females in New Jersey and 80 males, you are the only one from Emerson. There are likely more that have not joined this site.

Arkangeluz
Jan 26, 2019 11:09 pm

Hi Christian I have a permanent ileostomy; welcome.

MagicFlute14
Jan 27, 2019 12:42 am

Welcome! I haven’t met anyone either. I have a colostomy but no date for reversal yet. My surgery and recovery were hell. I don’t want to go though that again, at least not yet. But in here you’ll find many answers and people understand how you feel...

Christian_r
Jan 27, 2019 3:23 pm

We should host meet ups then ! Haha it seems most of us have never met another person with an ostomy, I’ve always wanted to go to a little get together 

Lt. Dan
Jan 29, 2019 5:38 pm

Hello and welcome to the site. There are probably local meetings in your area that you dont know about. Do a search on your Comunity, I did and was surprised that there were many of us.

Dan

emeraldlady231
Jan 30, 2019 10:11 pm

welcome to our world , i have both colostomy and urostomy.for over 12 years and never met in person .but did meet a guy from london that had colostomy . it was nice talking to a young person ,that had the same thing i did. and to talk about each others challenges

Lt. Dan
Jan 31, 2019 12:36 am

I'm sure it did For you. Learning how other people do there changes and tips and tricks is so helpful.  We are all very much normal with just a little extra equipment to deal with, lol. I got my ileostomy in 2008 due to emergency from UC. 

Puppyluv56
Feb 04, 2019 4:09 am

Hi Christian,

Welcome to the MAO site! There is very valuable info available here and lots of friends to make for life. I looked in kyntown and they say there is two so not sure who the other is! There are meeting through my local hospital system that meets once a month with speakers. You may want to look there to meet another Ostomate . Good luck and hope to see you on often! Puppy

Little Red
Feb 06, 2019 8:49 pm

Hi Christian,  from the Midwest,.  I am pretty new at  this site myself,  I have met several people that have Ostomys,  Because I belong to a support group at one of the local Hospitals .  In fact this coming Monday Feb 11 we will have another get together,   at the hospital   it is run by the ET Rn;s  at the hospital.  we have picnics, christmas parties  and  reps from the different appliance Co  come and talk    a great group.  check with the hospitals in your area and see if there are any support groups.    And good luck and welcome.

Mrs.A
Feb 06, 2019 10:10 pm

Welcome and be sure and ask any question you may have. Everyone here is wonderful at expressing their thoughts on how they feel and what they have tried. Always looking to help each other.

iMacG5
Mar 07, 2019 8:01 pm

Hi Chris. Our Canadian friend Xnine says there are about 180 people in New Jersey. I think there are more because I had trouble getting a parking space in Costco’s. I wonder how many might be Ostomates. Just kidding of course but I capitalized the word because I feel like we’re special.
Mike