Sleeping Through the Night with an Ileostomy - Tips?

Replies
Views
Megs
Jul 29, 2024 5:21 am
Reply to sassy222

Dear sassy222

Thanks for your advice. I will look into a bag with a spout and try out some samples with the overnight bag. I would really love to get back my sleep at night.

Ismini
Jul 29, 2024 8:06 am

Avoiding heavy carbs helps me (e.g., rice, pasta, bread, potatoes). Protein seems to result in less output for me, so I try not to eat a big dinner and make sure there is lots of protein to fill me up (and not just meat). If I eat by 7 PM, with the last toilet trip at 9 PM before bed, I can make it to 6 AM (although I wake up with a full bag at that point!). It's taken a while to learn the impact of all different foods and the output they result in, so it is a journey figuring out what works for me. I always think even waking up once for a wee is a good night's sleep too, so I focus on that being a positive too.
Hope you find something that works for you.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 36,000 members who truly understand you.

It's not all about ostomy. We talk about everything.

Many come here for advice or to give advice, others have found good friends, and some have even found love. Most importantly, people here are honest and genuinely care.

🛑 Privacy is very important - we have many features that are only visible to members, ensuring a safe and secure environment for you to share and connect.

Create an account and you will be amazed by the warmth of this community.

Hisbiscus
Aug 12, 2024 4:40 am

I have had nights where I slept for 8 hours, but I always wake up with a tight balloon along with output from gas, and it's so tight that it makes my stoma hurt. I walk ever so carefully to the bathroom as it feels like it's ready to burst, and of course, I have to pee really bad, so I'm dancing as I'm emptying, trying not to pee myself, lol! Every night is different for me as my stoma has a mind of its own. Some nights I get up twice. Some nights more often.

IGGIE
Aug 12, 2024 12:24 pm
Reply to Hisbiscus

I am laughing, thinking of you tiptoeing down the hall trying not to have a pee or cover the walls with Ostomy Soup. Next time, try and get it on video. Regards, IGGIE