Clip or Velcro Closures for Ostomy Bags - Which Do You Prefer?

Replies
Views
merman1974
Aug 03, 2024 4:45 pm

Always had bags with Velcro here - started out using Coloplast, now using Dansac.

Beachboy
Aug 03, 2024 5:35 pm
Reply to warrior

Emptying, cleaning, and securing Velcro closures requires hand/finger dexterity. Many ostomates have compromised or limited use of their hands and fingers. This would complicate folding and pressing the Velcro together without getting poop everywhere.

The first few times I emptied my bag, I sat on the throne and unknowingly got poop all over my fingers, all over Mr. Penis (I let the bag hang down while trying to clean my fingers 🤢). What a mess. I was thinking, "This ostomy crap is for the birds!"

But after accidentally discovering this website and reading so many excellent posts about ostomy care, I wised up.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 36,000 members who truly understand you.

It's not all about ostomy. We talk about everything.

Many come here for advice or to give advice, others have found good friends, and some have even found love. Most importantly, people here are honest and genuinely care.

🛑 Privacy is very important - we have many features that are only visible to members, ensuring a safe and secure environment for you to share and connect.

Create an account and you will be amazed by the warmth of this community.

HarryD
Aug 03, 2024 9:02 pm

Started with Velcro, and a few months later, I was having issues and was running low on pouches. I bought what they had at my local pharmacy, and it had a clip. I will never run low again, and I will never use a clip unless I have no other choice; the clip was a pain in the behind for me.

blackpooljean
Aug 04, 2024 12:58 am

Definitely a clip. Much cleaner way to empty the bag than all that Velcro that gets very messy for me.

blackpooljean
Aug 04, 2024 1:03 am
Reply to Morning glory

So agree

Getting Support in the Ostomy Community with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister

Play
blackpooljean
Aug 04, 2024 4:25 am
Reply to IGGIE

I'm a clip user. I do not like the Velcro closure on the bags I use. I'm interested in your clip invention. Would you please send me details?

Jean

Griselda
Aug 04, 2024 11:52 am

Definitely prefer Velcro and pray it never goes out of production!

Henpa
Aug 04, 2024 12:41 pm
Reply to 🇦🇺 Jo

I too, much prefer the Hollister Velcro closure to any sort of clip. Also, I have been using their product line since 2016 and like the bags with the little viewing panel for accurate, easy installation of a new bag.

Marjatta
Aug 04, 2024 1:02 pm

Velcro for my ileostomy appliance!

Doe1mama
Aug 04, 2024 1:09 pm

My husband has an ileostomy and uses Velcro. And since I'm the one doing the care, I definitely vote for Velcro.

rlevineia
Aug 04, 2024 1:11 pm

Velcro, 100%. Wait till you drop your clip into the oozing poop in the commode. Bring a fishing pole? Or are your fingers too stiff to manage the clip? Hollister has the best Velcro closure and easiest to clean, but the worst wafer or flange.

rlevineia
Aug 04, 2024 1:14 pm
Reply to Justbreathe

I found that leak with Coloplast & Convetec. Hollister doesn't leak; it's a better system.

rlevineia
Aug 04, 2024 1:18 pm
Reply to Mysterious Mose

I use a stealth belt, so the length is not an issue. I would remove the Iggie clip after eating in a restaurant. Need more space in the bag.

drsnickers2
Aug 04, 2024 1:38 pm
Reply to Beachboy

With an ileostomy, anything can, and does, happen. I have one, tried Velcro a few times, but I just can't get it clean enough. Awkward and counterintuitive opening and closing too. Clip forever.

almelia
Aug 04, 2024 3:33 pm
Reply to IGGIE

I've searched high and low for more info or a pic of the Iggie Clip - I presume it's just not something we can get here in the UK?

almelia
Aug 04, 2024 3:38 pm
Reply to IGGIE

I've searched high and low for more info or a picture of the Iggie Clip - I presume it's just not something we can get here in the UK?

Aha! Just found it on an older thread on here... and as a retired civil servant, I know I have a supply of those somewhere in my desk 😉

warrior
Aug 04, 2024 3:50 pm
Reply to almelia

It's basically a paper clip on steroids. 😆

The man is a genius. 👍

Mysterious Mose
Aug 04, 2024 4:38 pm
Reply to drsnickers2

Not sure what is counter-intuitive about Velcro seal, particularly the Hollister bag. Fold it 3 times, seal the Velcro, fold it 1-3 times more, and add the IGGIE clip. If you are having trouble keeping the Velcro clean, I assume you are using Coloplast. In that case, I can understand. Their Velcro enclosures are inferior to Hollister.

Daniel

drums_weights_ileostomy
Aug 04, 2024 5:05 pm

I've had my ileostomy since 1972. I've used both, and they both kind of have their pluses and minuses. The worst thing about a clip is it's just one more piece to have to deal with, whereas with the Velcro, it's all there. On the other hand, I have had Velcro ones that don't always lock together well. I've only had one instance where one came open, though. I've been using Hollister for the past several years, and I do prefer Velcro, just because it's all in one.

Diverticulitissucks!
Aug 04, 2024 5:35 pm

Having OA and RA in my hands, Velcro is a lifesaver for me!

Mysterious Mose
Aug 04, 2024 6:00 pm
Reply to drums_weights_ileostomy

The worst thing about a clip is when you drop it in the toilet!! 😂

Marilyn Flowers
Aug 04, 2024 6:17 pm

I always use two small rubber bands. Have for 60 years.

warrior
Aug 04, 2024 6:52 pm
Reply to Diverticulitissucks!

Oh girl, talk to me about it! Do you take anything for that arthritis? Any luck relieving pain?

Beachboy
Aug 04, 2024 7:33 pm
Reply to rlevineia

What problems do you encounter with the flanges?

Beachboy
Aug 04, 2024 7:36 pm
Reply to warrior

Well... it's like Forrest Gump said while running: Shit... it happens. 😉

Beachboy
Aug 04, 2024 8:00 pm
Reply to almelia

Here you go:

Login to see image

Login to see image
Document binder clip. Known throughout the Ostomy world as the IGGIE clip.

Using the clip.

Login to see image
Step 1, seal the pouch.

Login to see image
Step 2. Fold up the drain 1 or 2 times.

Login to see image
Step 3. Attach IGGIE clip.

Login to see image
Step 4. Fold down clip arms. IGGIE super glued tiny strong magnets (rare earth type) to the clip tips to prevent them from unfolding when the pouch gets full. See next pictures.

Login to see image

Login to see image
Magnets on clip tips. Can use 1 or 2 magnets. Available from Amazon or Home Depot.

Got liquid output... leaky pouch closure?

Login to see image

IGGIE clip 2.0. You could add a clip to the middle too.

Redondo
Aug 04, 2024 8:22 pm

I have used the ileostomy pouch system from Marlen for almost 50 years, the same system I originally started with, which is a vinyl plastic type pouch. It has a 1" tail end, which is smaller than the usual bags, which makes it easier for me to empty and clean. With it, I use a plastic tail closure and secure it with rubber bands. I've tried the newer usual styles with Velcro and clips. It's hard to keep Velcro clean. I don't like the newer clips either because they are too difficult for me to use. Maybe that's just me, but my system works best for me.

debbiedeeds1
Aug 04, 2024 9:01 pm

Velcro

Beachboy
Aug 04, 2024 9:21 pm
Reply to Redondo

Proof that once you discover a system that works for you, stick with it.

charlie
Aug 05, 2024 1:38 am

Clip all the way, the Velcro closure is not trustworthy, and I have already had my unfortunate accident. These new bags need clip closures and should be slightly shorter.