First Blowout

Replies
Views
three
Oct 25, 2011 8:25 pm

Jackie Gleason had an expression for moments like that: "How sweet it is!"
Possum
Dec 01, 2011 12:28 am
At my worst I had 35 leaks in 40 days last year. I kept a diary. Rather hard to laugh at the time. Some were major, all over the bed leaks. I am a teacher and was particularly worried it would happen in class. (and it did) I had to stop teaching children and turned to teaching adults to become teacher assistants. At least I could leave them on their own! I found the  Stealth Belt worked well for me (just Google) - it gave me extra valuable minutes to get to the bathroom and they look quite good - very discreet.

I've had an ileostomy for 28 years and put up with the occasional leaks. I finally gave in and took the advice of my gastroenterologist who said my output was not normal - far too watery. I am now taking 6 codeine a day and up to 6 Immodium.  No more leaks. My problem was output rather than gas. I use the Hollister 2 piece and it has the BEST filter - no more gas!

I hope you don't have another blowout, or at least have it at home if you do.

Login to see image

Possum
Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 36,000 members who truly understand you.

It's not all about ostomy. We talk about everything.

Many come here for advice or to give advice, others have found good friends, and some have even found love. Most importantly, people here are honest and genuinely care.

🛑 Privacy is very important - we have many features that are only visible to members, ensuring a safe and secure environment for you to share and connect.

Create an account and you will be amazed by the warmth of this community.

JRP
Dec 18, 2011 4:45 am
I have had so many blowouts, it would be tough to tell you the worst.  I will pick one.  I had to have a physical for one of my part time jobs as a counselor.  As I walked down the medical facility hall, I felt the warmth of the blowout flowing down my leg.  I had to walk about 300 ft to the medical office and ask for the bathroom key.  Again, back down 300 feet where I had to literally undress. I had to wrap paper towels around my entire body and wash my tights, skirt and shoes in the Ladies Room sink.  I wrung them out as best I could, redressed in damp clothes and proceeded to take a physical complete with immunization injections.  I did emit a odor, but one does what they must.  It is still not funny, and yet, I can smile because I survived it.
Past Member
Dec 18, 2011 10:39 pm
Not my first blowout, but I had one embarrassing one today. Was asked over for Christmas Dinner by friends who'd organised it as I was due for surgery later this week and now cancelled.  I think it was all the sitting about that started the problem, but went to get up from the table when all hell broke loose. I didn't even get a chance to thank them for dinner, but rushed out to the car and straight home and into the shower, clothes and all. I just called my friends back to thank them and all that was worrying them was that they may have made me sick. Just explained that my stoma was acting up and didn't go into too much detail. I know I'll not sit in the one place for too long in future!!

Login to see image

susjs
Mar 29, 2012 3:29 am
There are three times that have been funny - the rest not.

The first time was right after getting out of the hospital.  My daughter took me to lunch and we were sitting in a booth.  My bag started growing and growing and finally was sticking straight out and looked like a blimp about to take off.  I couldn't get out of the booth.  My daughter helped me wrap my coat around my middle and we finally were able to work me and my bag away from the table.  Once in the car, my daughter (a nursing student) asked me if there wasn't some way to "burp" the bag.  I responded that yes, I could do that, but I wouldn't recommend it in a closed car.  She condescendingly informed me that she had experienced much worse things than the smell that might come from the bag...so I let her rip...and my daughter started yelling to open windows and doors.

The second time was in the hospital - had been readmitted for some tests - and the "hospitalist" came by to check me out - he pulled my gown down, which caught on the edge of the bag, which then, of course, pulled off.  Diarrhea spurted across the room, hit the doc on his beautiful white coat.  He paled, ran out the room and the nurses and I rolled in laughter as we were cleaning up the mess.

The third time was in a bathroom in an assisted living facility that my mother lives in.  I could feel the bag filling up fast, so excused myself and went to the bathroom.  Normally I carry at least one extra bag, cleaning cloths, etc.  But that day I had just brought my wallet.  I was right, the bag was full and the diarrhea was still coming.  I tried putting toilet paper over the stoma to plug it (which, of course, didn't work) while I tried to empty the disposable bag..then flushed the toilet which backed up and spilled all over the floor...so there was shit floating in the water on the floor, I'm still having diarrhea and I have to figure out how to get someone to help.  I grabbed my jacket, put it over the whole mess on my front, ran to the front desk and yelled for help.  Ran back to mom's room, where she is sitting smiling - didn't realize anything had happend.  I left immediately, tried not to get any of the poop on the car and, like others, ran inside to the shower clothes and all.  Turns out mom's roommate tried to flush a disposable diaper...

There have been other times that have not been so humorous..but I try to remember that everyone has something they have to deal with.  I sure have become more compassionate...

The ones I hate the most are during the night in bed.  I actually started wearing a belt to bed so I wouldn't pull the bag off in my sleep.

How to Manage Ostomy Leaks with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister

Play
tim1948
May 12, 2012 10:56 pm
Welcome to the "Club" ol buddy ol pal.  We all have our babtisim of fire the first year.  If there is ONE rule to follow, it would be "Thou Shalt NOT walk around or go to bed with anything in the pouch"  You detect anything in there...empty it.  Also when fastening your bag to your wafer, use 4 fingers at the 10-2-4-8 oclock positions and push on to snap and attatch.  This makes sure the bag is properly attached all the way around.  Also wear boxer brief underwear as this keeps the bag form flopping around or being pulled off by "tighty whities".  And one final suggestion, train your body to roll over on your back, when changing sleeping positions in the night.  Rolling over on your belly can dislodge the bag.  GOOD LUCK
tim1948
May 12, 2012 11:10 pm
mooza..u crazy ausie broad...LOVE your sense of humor  LOL
tim1948
May 12, 2012 11:13 pm
Why does OUR waste smell 10X WORSE than the shit we used to expell from our assholes, back in happier days gone by???????????????????????????????????
tim1948
May 12, 2012 11:27 pm
Definition of "blow out"  when you are covered in poop.  When bag detatches or when there is leakage between skin and wafer.  You'll know it when you have one.  Good Luck