UTIs and Rectal Discharge with an Ostomy: Common Issues?

Replies
Views
lovely
Oct 04, 2019 4:01 am

I get a lot of uti's and I wonder if bacteria from the end of the pouch or rectum discharge could be part of the problem. Do any of you ladies have this problem?

Bill
Oct 04, 2019 7:07 am

Hello lovely.
Of course, UTI’s can be caused by bacteria from the rectum and although it’s more doubtful that they would be from the end of the pouch, you cannot rule out anything with regard to the source of bacteria. If you keep getting UTIs and regularly need treatment, your GP may give you a repeat prescription for antibiotics.
Treating recurring UTIs
If your UTI comes back any time after treatment, you'll usually be prescribed a longer course of antibiotics.
If you keep getting UTIs and regularly need treatment, your GP may give you a repeat prescription for antibiotics. Mild urinary tract infections (UTIs) often pass within a few days. To help ease pain while your symptoms clear up you can: take paracetamol, place a hot water bottle on your tummy, back or between your thighs, rest and drink plenty of fluids – this helps your body to flush out the bacteria; Avoid taking NSAIDs like ibuprofen or aspirin if you have a kidney infection. This may increase the risk of kidney problems;Women have a shorter urethra than men. This means bacteria are more likely to reach the bladder or kidneys and cause an infection. Here are some recommended do’s and don’ts:
Do
• wipe from front to back when you go to the toilet
• try to fully empty your bladder when you pee
• drink plenty of fluids
• take showers instead of baths
• wear loose cotton underwear
• pee as soon as possible after sex
Don't
• do not use perfumed bubble bath, soap or talcum powder
• do not hold your pee in if you feel the urge to go
• do not wear tight, synthetic underwear, such as nylon
• do not wear tight jeans or trousers
• do not use condoms or diaphragms with spermicidal lube on them – try non-spermicidal lube or a different type of contraception
Natural remedies
You could try taking:
• a supplement called D-mannose
• cranberry juice or tablets
• a probiotic called lactobacillus
Research suggests D-mannose might help prevent UTIs in women who are not pregnant.
It's not clear if cranberry products or lactobacillus help.
Be aware that D-mannose and cranberry products can contain a lot of sugar.

The above recommendations are adapted from the NHS website but seem to be good advice. 

UTI's are a damned nuisance and I hope you find a solution soon.

Best wishes

Bill

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 36,000 members who truly understand you.

It's not all about ostomy. We talk about everything.

Many come here for advice or to give advice, others have found good friends, and some have even found love. Most importantly, people here are honest and genuinely care.

🛑 Privacy is very important - we have many features that are only visible to members, ensuring a safe and secure environment for you to share and connect.

Create an account and you will be amazed by the warmth of this community.

lovely
Oct 05, 2019 2:09 am

Thanks Bill My Dr did give me a longer dose of antibiotics this last time. I do take crannberry chewables as I can't stand the taste of the juice.  I just don't like taking so many antibiotics  some of the suggestion I will try and some I alresady do. Thanks for the siggestions.

MzDevine💋
Oct 11, 2019 11:02 am

I get discharge but depending how much its normal....u can get sanitizes wipes to wipe  your clamp or baby wipes....

Past Member
Jun 16, 2022 8:11 pm

Yes unfortunately you can get a UTI from the discharge from your rectal stump. I had to have my rectal stump removed for this reason.

I have a permanent colostomy and my doctor told me that most people who have a rectal stump will have occasional discharge that can build up and just be pushed out into the toilet. I however do not have any sphincter control and the discharge was always leaking. I needed to wear a pad to absorb it, but I kept getting UTI after UTI. So two years ago, I had my rectum removed and I have not had a UTI since! 

How to Manage Ostomy Leaks with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister

Play