Colonoscopy Prep for Ostomy Patients - Bag and Flange Tips

Replies
Views
Nurse
Jan 16, 2024 3:05 am

After I complete prep, should I just change the bag and wipe around the stoma and put on a new bag? I don't want to take off the flange if they will put on another flange. Way too irritating to the skin, right?

Mysterious Mose
Jan 16, 2024 6:49 pm

I suppose it depends on how sensitive your skin is. Personally, I would change the whole thing. But then, I do not have a colon and have no need for a colonoscopy. I do need an annual sigmoidoscopy. But the prep for that does not involve my bag. So, I will shut up now. 🥸

Daniel

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 36,000 members who truly understand you.

It's not all about ostomy. We talk about everything.

Many come here for advice or to give advice, others have found good friends, and some have even found love. Most importantly, people here are honest and genuinely care.

🛑 Privacy is very important - we have many features that are only visible to members, ensuring a safe and secure environment for you to share and connect.

Create an account and you will be amazed by the warmth of this community.

AlexT
Jan 16, 2024 10:04 pm

I'd leave it all alone until you have your colonoscopy. They may change your bag for you or just put on everything fresh once it's all over.

Footie97
Jan 17, 2024 9:28 pm

I applied a new one the morning of my scope and they did not need to remove it. I did take a new flange with me so while I was out they would have a new one if they needed to take it off.