Swimming in the Ocean with an Ileostomy?

Replies
Views
Ritz
Sep 28, 2020 4:47 pm

Ok... I'm an ileostomy gal for a year now, lost my husband a couple of months after my surgery. I'm owning it... but I was afraid to go into the ocean. I've only been in my pool once out of fear. Does anyone go in the ocean to swim? I love the waves... PS... I named myself on here Ritz... I love those crackers!

xnine
Sep 28, 2020 5:19 pm

I have been in the ocean many times in Puerto Vallarta. If your bag looks tight on land, it will stay tight in the ocean. I use a life jacket. I do not swim much but love to jump in the waves. I use Brava strips for extra security. I also wear a wrap. Go for it, have fun.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,870 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

Ritz
Sep 28, 2020 6:00 pm

What is a wrap?

Bill
Sep 28, 2020 6:02 pm

Hello Ritz.  As Xnine says - just go for it and enjoy yourself. What's the worst that can happen?  - Rest assured it's unlikely to happen.

Best wishes

Bill

xnine
Sep 28, 2020 6:24 pm

Wrap is a bandeau or tube top. There are other things called wraps but that is what I use. Also a tummy sleeve from maternity shops.

How to Manage Emotions with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister
w30bob
Sep 28, 2020 7:52 pm

Hi Ritz,

Never had any issue with the ocean other than always going to the beach on stupid hot days where I sweat like a pig if I wasn't in the water. I've had more issues with adhesion (or lack thereof) from perspiration than from being in the pool or ocean. I have to say that whenever I hear that expression of Bill's....ie "What's the worst that can happen"....I have to laugh. I have a lot of stories to tell because of not thinking through that saying. But hey......you only live once.....and the stories are funny......later on. Jump in.

Later,

Bob

Puppyluv56
Sep 29, 2020 12:58 am

Hey,

I have a pool in my backyard and get into it almost every day in the summer. I do not have any issues with it. I do use a filter cover to help the filter continue to work. I also cruise and snorkel in the ocean in the Caribbean. I have never had any issues there either. I do not wear anything other than my normal bathing suit. I save one-piece suits for home because they are just too hard to get up and down, especially once they are wet. Wouldn't a zipper be super at an appropriate place to empty your pouch! I wear either a skirt-type bottom or swimming shorts. Both work well. My top is always something with ruffles to hide not only my ostomy but that little fat roll I tend to get! Lol
Dive right in! Everyone is different, so be prepared with extra supplies in case you need them, but I have never needed to use mine and even forget to take them with me sometimes.

Good luck,

Puppyluv

xnine
Sep 30, 2020 11:03 am

Ritz and tomato soup. Yum

Ritz
Sep 30, 2020 1:01 pm

Funny - very funny....na