Best Remedies for Rash Under Stoma Seal?

Replies
Views
kygal47
Dec 02, 2010 8:20 pm
What is best to use for red rash under the complete seal & tape Can really itch

Would appreciate all reply

Thanks
lottagelady
Dec 02, 2010 10:16 pm
Hi, I believe Calamine Lotion will help, but it may also be that you have a fungal infection (thrush/candida) on the skin around your stoma, in which case you will need some anti-fungal cream.

Another thing that one of our member's swears by is Karaya Powder .... may be wise to ask a stoma nurse if you have one?

Hope something there helps

Rach xx
Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 37,000 members who truly understand you.

It's not all about ostomy. We talk about everything.

Many come here for advice or to give advice, others have found good friends, and some have even found love. Most importantly, people here are honest and genuinely care.

🛑 Privacy is very important - we have many features that are only visible to members, ensuring a safe and secure environment for you to share and connect.

Create an account and you will be amazed by the warmth of this community.

WOUNDED DOE
Dec 03, 2010 2:27 am
Hi kygal47

Login to see image

like Rach mentioned Calamine seems to work for a lot of people quite nicely, personally though for any sort of irritation I use aloe vera,  not the juice or lotion bought in the store! The juice is not potent enough nor are the lotions and the lotions will likely prevent your pouch tape from sticking properly....what I use is the plant itself, what an excellent healing plant ...aloe vera plants are amazing, truly.....  I would snip off perhaps a two inch clip of the plant, carefully use a razor blade or paring knife to slice it down the middle, the inside of the plant is watery and a bit gooey and sticky, slightly, once it is opened up in such a way you can use it as a poultace on sores or cuts, etc with a band aid around it, but in the case of skin irritation around our stoma, first make sure your skin is clean honey and completely free of any soap residue and dry ...then gently rub the opened plant over your skin to allow the juice from the plant coat your affected area, allow to dry completely, which doesn't usually take long, rub more on if you want and use up that healing plant juice, again allow to dry, then do NOT wash it off your skin, just re-apply your pouch....use daily or as often as needed, works wonderful

Login to see image

Login to see image

Login to see image

....such a nice natural way to heal, I love it.  Good luck in discovering what works for you dear!

Login to see image

Login to see image

Login to see image

~Love from your Doe
southerngal
Dec 03, 2010 2:59 am
I use Zeasorb-AF.  It's an antifungal powder that can be lightly sprinkled on the bare, affected area (area needs to be clean and dry).  Don't put a lot on because it could cake up and interfere with your seal.  Zeasorb-AF can be purchased at the drug store without a prescription. For me the itching stopped immediately and the red area cleared up in a day or so.

Good luck!
andyangiet
Dec 03, 2010 6:21 am
I had this problem all the time. I found that creams or ointments made the wafer not stick. I talked to the ostomy nurse and she told me to use the athletes foot powder in the yellow bottle. I can't remember what it was called. I would put a little and blow off any loose powder. I then used a prep wipe, and would just dab it on the powder but not to much just enough to wet it a little. Blow on it for a few and then apply you one or two piece system after. That is the only thing that I found that worked and took the itch away, and a plus my bag would stay on. Hope it works for you.

Getting Support in the Ostomy Community with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister

Play
Tiggy
Dec 09, 2010 9:33 pm
In my opinion, it's best to see your doctor about this, and don't be afraid to seek the help of an allergist or dermatologist if the problem persists. My husband had a rash a little while ago which we were sure had to be connected to his ostomy, but it turned out that it was a rash that was totally unrelated to his ostomy, it just so happened to start around the stomal area.

Best of luck!