Is This Ileostomy Blockage Normal? Need Advice!

Replies
Views
married
Mar 02, 2010 11:39 pm
Hi everyone,

Thank god for this sight. I have had my ileostomy for 4 years. The last two days I have experienced something which I think could be a blockage. I was sick to my stomach yesterday. I am so thankful I can tell it like it is. My output has watery. I am feeling a little better today. I am drinking tea, eating marshmellows and bananas.The output is getting a little thicker but it is greenish. Could it be the broccoli I had a few days ago? I should have known better. I am terrible at the computer and I can't seem to find answers. I tend to panic since I am so afraid of going back to hospital. I became a case study because of complications. Is it normal for lthis to last a few days.? should I have a hot bath as i read that may help.God Bless. I will look at the responces throughout the evening. Thanks to everyone. I never thought I would be able to share this with anyone.
WOUNDED DOE
Mar 03, 2010 12:07 am
Hi Married

Login to see image

33-year ileostomate here

Login to see image

Please don't panic ...it's ok.  You share whatever you want to in here.  Are you in pain??  Any time you're in pain, never let that go too long and just give your doctor a call....as for being sick to your stomach, there are many things that can make us feel that way maybe you just ate something that didn't agree with you, we're no different than anyone else that way ...but don't let that go on long either.  As for green and watery......that is soooo common.  Watery is to be expected from time to time when you have an ileostomy, and when it is watery we need to make sure we drink more water so we don't get dehydrated .....and many things we eat and drink can change the color of our output...occasional green is more common than you might think ...some people get the green color from anything from drinking grape juice or Kool Aid or certain foods that can change it to green...anything with food coloring as of late?   Personally, in my own experience, watery and green is nothing to lose sleep over at all....but don't continue to be feeling sick without letting your Doc give you a look ...but it will be ok sweetie

Login to see image

it will.   Naturally, if it continues and something doesn't 'feel' right it's always good to look into it....do you have a fever or a bloated tummy?

Everyone is different so my bottom-line advice is this... You mentioned you've had your ileo for 4 years, if these symptoms are rather new to you after all this time, just make an appointment to be seen, but try not to worry or stress hun, you will be fine.   Let us know how you're doing, don't be scared and know you're not alone, we're right here with you.

~Your Doe
Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 36,000 members who truly understand you.

It's not all about ostomy. We talk about everything.

Many come here for advice or to give advice, others have found good friends, and some have even found love. Most importantly, people here are honest and genuinely care.

🛑 Privacy is very important - we have many features that are only visible to members, ensuring a safe and secure environment for you to share and connect.

Create an account and you will be amazed by the warmth of this community.

junopete
Mar 03, 2010 12:40 am
married,

If you are prone or think you may a blockage, stay away from the fiber.

In many people bananas tend to act as a binder as do marshmellows.

If you are passing a lot of liquid and if that is not normal for you.  In some people, I am one of them.  The body will try and excrete a lot of liquid trying to move the blockage out.

As the earlier poster suggested, drink lots of water.

A greenish color discharge is not all that uncommon.  You know what is normal and best for you.

Yes I have been told by a doctor to take a hot bath for a blockage and intestinal cramping.  

For me I did not have any success with this.  Perhaps you will.

Good luck

Rick.....
married
Mar 03, 2010 12:43 am
HiDoe

Thanks so much for replying to me. I don't have a bloated tummy so hopefully that is a good sign. I feel a little better with your aadvice and appreciate your time. God bless and if I don't see an improvement by tomorrow I will call my doctor or Et nurse. Have a good night.
married
Mar 03, 2010 12:48 am
Thanks so much for your reply to my concerns. I will stop the marshmellows and bananas.  Hopefully I will feel better tomorrow. I feel so blessed to have discovered this sight as I now know that there are people out there who understand what I go through.  God bless Rick

Sid

Stories of Living Life to the Fullest from Ostomy Advocates I Hollister

Play
junopete
Mar 03, 2010 2:06 am
married,

I thought I might add.  There are a number of people who before changing out a wafer will eat marshmellows to try and "stop them up" for a short period of time.

Rick.....
WOUNDED DOE
Mar 04, 2010 1:59 am
Hi married!  I hope you're feeling better today!

Login to see image

married
Mar 04, 2010 3:51 am
Hi Doe,

Thanks for asking how I am doing. thank god i am feeling better and I think the blockage is gone as the output is back to normal. I just drank tea and ate crackers for a few days. However Doe I changed my flange today and for the firtst time I had red sore skin at the bottom with a few blisters. I had an antibiotic cream for something else which i used. Have you experienced this problem at all?l It is starting to feel better. God bless you for your concern. I am terrible at computers.You must be a special person  to help all the beautiful animals.  Iread your block and realize you have had a hard time. I am slowly trying to get over the problems and accept that i have to live with the bag. Unlike you i am in the media a lot and always havea fear of the damn thing falling off. You sound like you have a quie t and may not have been treated correctly by someone. You are a beautiful young lady and time will pass where you will meet the right person. Until then let an older man give you advice . Go out and have fun and meet as many different people as you can.Someone will be lucky to have you. We always told our daughter to settle for the best because you are the best. Your photo gallery was lovely. Loved seeing big Jim. He probably adores you. Animals sense when they are loved. Thanks again doe for taking time to see that I was feeling better.  My nephew who is a doctor suffers from Chrons. It amazes me how he graduated medical school when he was so ill at time. I will pray that things will get better for you. you sound like a loving and caring person. Hope you aren't angry for my words. This sight is so blessed to have wonderful people like you. Take care Sid
WOUNDED DOE
Mar 04, 2010 4:58 am

Sid, you're a wonderful man and I'm glad to hear that you are feeling better

Login to see image

Thank you for your kind words (hug)
RE: Your sore skin and blisters ....ouch!  Yes, that happens sometimes and it can be quite uncomfortable.  One definitely wants to always try to keep the skin protected and covered as much as possible up to the stoma because the output is so acidic it can really eat away at the skin

Login to see image

sometimes we need to change the appliance more often or include a little Hollister Premium Powder and/or gum seal of one form or another as an extra method to keep that irritated skin as dry as possible and protected.

Thank you for your advice! I do appreciate it very much.  I have indeed been treated poorly by X's though I am sure many can say the same thing...but I have also been hiding in the shadows far too long ...and have recently realized something else, my past choices in men have also kept me in the shadows and have always wanted to keep me a 'secret' of sorts for some reason.  I've had enough of that....it hurts.   Again I thank you for your kind words, they touched me.  I have realized I want to have more value to someone ....someone who is proud to say "Here's my Doe! She's special to me and she's MINE!"  lmao    

Login to see image

That would be a first in my life...wish me luck Give your nephew my best!  Bravo!!! for the accomplishment of becoming a doctor and enduring Crohn's in the process! Wow that is amazing!!  Tell him there is a little Doe who says HELLO!

Login to see image

"Hope you aren't angry for my words"  ...Sid I could never be angry with you, you are so kind-hearted and care about the feelings of others, I love people like yourself....and being the feisty little Doe I occasionally can be, you are the respected type of friend I will be first in line to stick up for when the chips are down!

Login to see image

There are tons of wonderful people on this site and, following your advice and also the encouragement of another friend, I fully intend to start meeting my awesome friends here

Login to see image

Login to see image

Have a good night!

Login to see image

~Your Doe
Gus
Mar 04, 2010 11:42 am
Married please don't take what i say the wrong way mate. It appears to me your being too timid with your stoma and the fact you have one, Sure you will get blockages, we all do at some stage,, They wont kill you,, Sure we get leaks, Zeppelins and blow offs, you clean up and move on ,, We also nearly all get hernias at some point whether its incisional or para stomal and we get them fixed and get more. Take a day at a time mate, deal with the isssues as they arise and don't sweat the small stuff. if all of a sudden your bag falls off as has happened to me at work, I just laugh look at those around me and say" Bloody hell I,m in th shit again" and go replace it. It how YOU deal with it. Your a nice bloke,, and I wisjh you all the best, abd I hope you let your wife get involved with your care cos she will be your rock when all else is failing around you

Good luck buddy chat soon
Mike
Mar 05, 2010 5:01 am
Hi Gus I had the unfortunate experence of having my bag fall off while walking in Reno Nevada What a mess!!
Gus
Mar 05, 2010 5:05 am
Yeh Mike it's fun ay,, Had it blown off by a wave at the beach one day, had no supplies with me and lost the flange and everything. Ended up covering it with sand , stickin me finger in the stoma and we went home... Was quite angry at the time but It's funny as now. I heard the fishin was good that night hahaha
Mike
Mar 05, 2010 5:28 am
I've heard that makes great fish bait LOL
Jax
Mar 05, 2010 10:17 am

Login to see image

Our sweet Doe and everyone else, you are all beautiful!!! Loves you all!!!

Your advice Doe is so good, I hope to be like you in the future and have the best of your experience...

Jax

xxx

Login to see image

Login to see image

Login to see image

WOUNDED DOE
Mar 05, 2010 7:17 pm

Aww Jax, you're such a sweetie!!

Login to see image

Login to see image

~Your Doe
beatrice