Grapefruit and Ostomy - Safe or Not?

Replies
Views
Mr.bonson
Jun 15, 2024 1:39 am

Grapefruit was on the top 10 list of foods not to eat when I first received my ostomy. Now, I can't stop eating them. Why have I never noticed any complications? Does anybody know?

eefyjig
Jun 15, 2024 2:19 am

Maybe you're craving citrus? I eat oranges and grapefruits, but I peel the outside off first. I guess I don't want to push my luck since I eat tons of popcorn with no problems.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 36,000 members who truly understand you.

It's not all about ostomy. We talk about everything.

Many come here for advice or to give advice, others have found good friends, and some have even found love. Most importantly, people here are honest and genuinely care.

🛑 Privacy is very important - we have many features that are only visible to members, ensuring a safe and secure environment for you to share and connect.

Create an account and you will be amazed by the warmth of this community.

Mr.bonson
Jun 15, 2024 2:27 am
Reply to eefyjig

Grew up in Florida, always eating. Now in Tennessee, but I can't quit when they're big in season.

Ben38
Jun 15, 2024 6:34 am

Congratulations, you're normal like all of us.

I always say those "foods to avoid" lists should be put in the garbage! They do more harm than good, giving people a fear of food for no reason. Our digestive systems are just like life, always changing. You will even see from family and friends that don't have ostomies say, "I can't eat so-and-so anymore; it gives me wind/constipation/diarrhea, etc." Never take anything for granted; just because you can eat something problem-free today, it could change tomorrow, next week, or in 30 years' time.

Axl
Jun 15, 2024 7:23 am

What Ben said...

How to Manage Ostomy Leaks with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister

Play
AlexT
Jun 15, 2024 8:56 am
Reply to eefyjig

Doesn't everyone peel the outside off first? That would be some tough chewing if you ate it with the skin stuff on. 😁

Morning glory
Jun 15, 2024 1:01 pm

Hi, if you're eating the grapefruit without any problems, then don't worry about it and keep enjoying them.

Hisbiscus
Jun 15, 2024 2:01 pm

They are as thirst-quenching as any other fruits.

Chiquis
Jun 17, 2024 12:17 am

You have to be careful with

grapefruit and certain meds like Lipitor. That's just one, but there are many. Grapefruit can decrease the effectiveness of the medicine. Talk to your pharmacist.

Mr.bonson
Jun 17, 2024 7:05 am

I think in today's market, not many can afford enough to hurt them. Eating healthy gets very expensive. Thanks.

SpaceCowgirl
Jun 17, 2024 3:23 pm

I recently bought a bag of them. I slice them in half and scoop out the fruit so I can avoid most of the insoluble fiber. I wasn't sure I could eat a whole one, but half was totally fine, and I've been squeezing the juice; they're so good!

aTraveler
Jun 18, 2024 3:17 pm

There is a tendency to misinterpret the list of things to avoid. The list contains things that may cause problems. Not everything on the list, or anything on the list, will have an effect on a particular individual. It is similar to a side effects list on medicine — when taking the medicine, you may experience some or none of the effects. In terms of the foods to avoid with an ostomy, some of the lists that state foods to avoid are for the time soon after your surgery. You are discouraged from eating certain foods to allow your ostomy time to heal without complications due to blockages. Later, you can gradually introduce the items into your diet by trying small amounts to see how your body handles the item. Some items are more applicable to those with ileostomies — once healed, those with colostomies can eat pretty much anything. You never mentioned whether you have a colostomy or an ileostomy. I hope you are following the admonition to "chew, chew, chew." Remember, the lists are like caution signs on highways and streets — proceed with caution (chewing well).