Belt Pressure Blocking Urostomy Pouch Flow: Solutions?

Replies
Views
goddi11891
Mar 21, 2021 2:53 am

Any pressure from my belt or underwear elastic band will pinch off the flow of urine into the rest of the bag. So the urine backs up around the stoma until I pay attention to it and release the pressure. I don't see any posting about this problem. Is there an easy solution? I am trying a 'waistband expander' so I don't have to button up my pants. It helps but not 100%. Might try a 'Stoma Dome' next.

Any ideas...?

w30bob
Mar 21, 2021 7:38 pm

Hi goddi,

I'm not in your situation, but if you search Google for "stoma cover/protector/shield/guard" you'll see there's a number of products that should do what you need.  I haven't tried any of them, as my stoma is above my beltline and I never tuck my bag into my pants.  But I'm sure many have been in your shoes.  The other option if you don't find anything you like..........is to make your own.  Some 3/16 or 1/8 aluminum bent to your liking and some velcro should be easily fabricated into a shape that does the job.  Bill seems to be the master of DIY stoma stuff.........so if he has any advice for you I'm sure he'll chime in when he sees this. 

regards,

bob 

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 36,000 members who truly understand you.

It's not all about ostomy. We talk about everything.

Many come here for advice or to give advice, others have found good friends, and some have even found love. Most importantly, people here are honest and genuinely care.

🛑 Privacy is very important - we have many features that are only visible to members, ensuring a safe and secure environment for you to share and connect.

Create an account and you will be amazed by the warmth of this community.

iMacG5
Mar 22, 2021 8:34 pm

Hey Goddi, I think Bob's PeePipe is a great idea. You have every right to experiment as long as you don't hurt yourself. Let us know what you end up with.

Mike

goddi11891
Mar 25, 2021 10:24 pm

Greetings,

Yea, I've looked at various stoma guards. In fact, I bought one ($80) but it only guards the stoma and my belt will slip down and block the flow. Gee, I see some stoma guards for up to $299!!!

But, even with a stoma guard, the problem is that, even when sitting, the pants applies pressure on the pouch and the flow will get pinched off and the urine pools around the stoma...not good.

These pouches for urostomies are not engineered very well to prevent this.

Gary