Sharp Pain Around Stoma: Seeking Advice and Experiences

Replies
Views
miketexas75
Mar 22, 2021 10:04 pm

New here folks but not new to my stoma (STEVEY), Something i have noticed in the past but not paid to much attention to is after laying down for awhile and then standing up and walking or even just sitting up i would get a very heavy feeling about my stoma and sharp pains all around. But this past week after two ER visit with just stright liquid output the pain was constant and it didnt matter if i was walking, sitting, carrying my son, or laying down the pain was all about my stoma. The doctor gave me Bentil but it didnt seem to do anything neither did Fentanyl. Currently i am not having any pain but i want to be more prepared next time it comes around.

Last CT scan did say there was fat deposits around or buildup just under the skin around the stoma which i am assuming is causing the hernia. Does anyone have any thoughts of what might be causing the pain to be just localized around the stoma. The radius is about the size of a softball it feels like.

Mike In Texas

Ritz
Mar 22, 2021 10:54 pm

I have no idea , but I wish you all the best to find out .

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 36,000 members who truly understand you.

It's not all about ostomy. We talk about everything.

Many come here for advice or to give advice, others have found good friends, and some have even found love. Most importantly, people here are honest and genuinely care.

🛑 Privacy is very important - we have many features that are only visible to members, ensuring a safe and secure environment for you to share and connect.

Create an account and you will be amazed by the warmth of this community.

Past Member
Mar 22, 2021 11:54 pm

Hi Mike, 

I don't know either. My stoma is on a "mound" it always has been. Last year I got two little hernias one between my navel and stoma and one directly above the stoma from trying to pick my mother of the floor after she had a fall. Just a natural reaction that I have since learned not to do. 

After the hernias it would hurt and burn quite a bit and after a while it seemed to calm down. 

I don't know if that has any bearing on your situation or not? Across my stomach area (after two years or so) I still get intermittent pain and cramping, nerve tingling especially where the drains were after surgery. 

But someone will probably answer and shed light on it for you. Please update us let us know what happens.  ...mtnman. 

w30bob
Mar 23, 2021 5:55 am

Hi Mike,

Tough to diagnose 100% from the clues you provided........but when you said the pain subsides when you lay down and returns when you sit or get up.......that's a typical symptom of a hernia.  A CT would normally easily diagnose that......unless the radiologist is an idiot or is looking for something else instead. Gastro's aren't experts on abdominal hernias, so seek out a good abdominal wall surgeon (who specializes in abdominal hernias), which is not the same as a colorectal surgeon. I'd also recommend you have your CT scan results reviewed by another radiologist, as a second opinion......but a good abdominal wall surgeon will do that as well. A second guess would be adhesions, but those would also be detected by a CT scan. What you describe should be fairly easy to diagnose, when you find the right professionals. Sorry I can't be of more help!

Regards,

Bob

iMacG5
Mar 23, 2021 4:55 pm

Welcome, Mike. I'm going with what Bob offered. There are some very talented medical folks out there and, unfortunately, some jerks. Ask around, find the ones who communicate with each other after listening to the patient. Let us know how you make out. I'm betting it will all be good.

Respectfully,

Mike

Staying Hydrated with an Ostomy with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister

Play