Dealing with Ostomy Bag Discomfort: Any Tips?

Replies
Views
jdscott1960
Mar 23, 2021 4:51 pm

I've had my colonostomy a few months now, the bag just feels like it's pulling, any suggestions on what I can do

darrenc26
Mar 23, 2021 5:27 pm

Hey jdscott,

The best thing I can suggest, I’ve had a colostomy in the past, now have an ileostomy, Is to contact your stoma nurse team at your local clinic or hospital, they will be the best ppl to help you, they can try different bags for you or place it better around your stoma. That’s what they did for me here in England a few times over the years.

Hope this helps and email back anytime,

Darren clark 

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 36,000 members who truly understand you.

It's not all about ostomy. We talk about everything.

Many come here for advice or to give advice, others have found good friends, and some have even found love. Most importantly, people here are honest and genuinely care.

🛑 Privacy is very important - we have many features that are only visible to members, ensuring a safe and secure environment for you to share and connect.

Create an account and you will be amazed by the warmth of this community.

Puppyluv56
Mar 24, 2021 1:27 am

Hi JD,

Is it pulling when you stand straight, when you sit? Does it feel Like it is pulling while you are having output. Sometimes  mine feels like it is pulling while doing it's thing and I find that it has pancaked around the stoma and the poo won't go down Into the pouch and it pulls. You can use lubricant or baby oil to help that. Or change to a convex pouch. It is shaped differently anf allows more room around the stoma. 
If it pulls all the time , take a look at how you are standing when you attach to pouch. Do You pull your skin tight when applying it? Try to stand in a natural pose. If you pull your skin tight, then you will have wrinkles under the barrier and may have some pulling. You skin may be trying to go back where it belongs and cannot because of the barrier tape. It does hurt. 

Hope this helps some.

Puppyluv

lovely
Mar 24, 2021 2:29 am

Puppyluv has some good suggestios. You can also get in touch with some of the venders they can suggestion to help and will send you some sample to try. Best wishes and stay safe

ron in mich
Mar 24, 2021 1:57 pm

Hi JD i,m not sure what you mean by pulling, is it because the pouch is full and feels heavy or does it feel like its internally in which case is your output real thickand doesnt flow out into the pouch, so maybe you need to drink more fluids like fruit juice or just more water.

Staying Hydrated with an Ostomy with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister

Play