Ostomy Memories of Keeping On

Replies
Views
HenryM
Aug 06, 2021 8:15 am

IT TAKES A CERTAIN AMOUNT OF COURAGE to live life, bravery in the face of constant and often overwhelming challenges. Like life-threatening illness and eventual ostomy surgery. In most areas of endeavor, cowards don’t succeed, unless they’re politicians, but then they’ve chosen a profession mandating cowardice. The rest of us, through all the often-undeserved hurdles that fate plops into our path, we keep on keeping on. “Life can only be understood backwards,” wrote Sören Kierkegaard, “but it must be lived forward.” I think he was overly optimistic with respect to understanding our past. All the countless times I’ve gone over past experience in my head, and there is still much I don’t get. Why did I do that? It made no sense! There are just too many things that impact our backward glances: faulty memory, ego, a history of drug use, overactive imagination, and conflict of interest to cite a few. That’s why I also take issue with the old saying about hindsight being 20/20. That’s overly optimistic nonsense. Or world-class delusion. An untalented athlete, for instance, is likely kidding himself, after his loss, by thinking…if only I’d practiced two more hours a day. It can be really hard to be honest with yourself. I have a friend who always wanted to be a stand-up comedian. He became a Circuit Judge instead. I think there’s a joke in there somewhere.

veejay
Aug 06, 2021 8:37 am

Another thought provoking post Henry....and I have the punch line for you. Hope you don't mind?

"They laughed when I said I was going to do stand-up comedy, well they're not laughing now!"

Keep well.

V.J.😷

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 36,000 members who truly understand you.

It's not all about ostomy. We talk about everything.

Many come here for advice or to give advice, others have found good friends, and some have even found love. Most importantly, people here are honest and genuinely care.

🛑 Privacy is very important - we have many features that are only visible to members, ensuring a safe and secure environment for you to share and connect.

Create an account and you will be amazed by the warmth of this community.

Axl
Aug 06, 2021 11:55 am

All you get from looking backwards is a sore neck ..

Bill
Aug 07, 2021 7:50 am

Hello henryM.

Thanks for bringing this concept to the fore, as it seems to be one of several useful aspects of life to contemplate a little more fully. 

In days gone by, when I needed to help people grasp the importance of some of the fundamentals of 'going forward' in life, the concept of 'looking forward' was one which seemed to be important. 

I have already documented this elswhere (as 'Concept 4. views'), so I'll try to reproduce it below:

Best wishes

Bill

PS: Unfortunately I cannot seem to download this page as it's in the wrong format and I am not computer literate enough to get around the problem. Thus, this is one where I'll have to give up and not look back!