Ostomy Memories of Cotton Balls

Replies
Views
HenryM
Dec 18, 2021 8:01 am

COTTON BALLS ARE A STAPLE of my ostomy changing procedure. They have to be all-cotton, as the ones that include a synthetic substance aren’t as absorbent and do an inferior job. I use them to clean the skin around the stoma with warm water. As an item, cotton balls have been around only since 1937, when a machine was invented to produce them in mass quantities. Before that, there was another kind of cotton ball. Cotton balls (dances) were a prominent feature of social life in North Carolina beginning in the late seventeenth and early eighteenth centuries. These dances celebrated special events, such as the harvesting of a cotton crop (altho’ I don’t think the folks that actually did the harvesting were invited to the balls). Then there is the hilarious scene in “Catch-22” where Milo Minderbinder asks Yosarrian to eat something chocolate that he has created. Yosarrian pops it into his mouth and a moment later spits it out in disgust. It turns out to be a chocolate-covered cotton ball. Cotton balls may have various medical or cosmetic uses, but they’re not edible. The scene is enhanced by the fact that Milo has to climb a tree to get to Yosarrian, who is sitting naked on a limb looking down upon a funeral. If you haven’t read “Catch-22” you’re missing out on one of the greatest novels of the 20th Century, and one of the best anti-war novels ever written.

nal143
Dec 20, 2021 4:47 pm

I agree. And even the movie was good.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 36,000 members who truly understand you.

It's not all about ostomy. We talk about everything.

Many come here for advice or to give advice, others have found good friends, and some have even found love. Most importantly, people here are honest and genuinely care.

🛑 Privacy is very important - we have many features that are only visible to members, ensuring a safe and secure environment for you to share and connect.

Create an account and you will be amazed by the warmth of this community.